Advice on a new MM pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RPIcka, Feb 14, 2009.

1. RPIcka

RPIcka

Apr 19, 2006
    BC, Canada
    I'm building a MM style bass and can't decide on a pickup and pre-amp combo. I'm looking at a complete Bartolini set-up but have no experience with Bartolini's MM pickups and the different choices available. I'm looking for a sound close to the original sound of a Stingray. Thinking about EMG as well. Anyone with experience with these setups or just your favorite set-up? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. I'm actually looking for the same, So I'll be following this thread.

I'm looking at Delano or Nordstrand or Basslines.

3. RPIcka

RPIcka

Apr 19, 2006
    BC, Canada
    I've considered a complete Nordstrand set-up as well as I've heard good things about it.

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I used the SD MM p'up with a basslines 2 band preamp and like it in my Warmoth frankensaber...

5. RPIcka

RPIcka

Apr 19, 2006
    BC, Canada
    What model pickup?

6. mangle

mangle

Dec 17, 2001
    Guayaquil, ECUADOR
    RPIcka, I'm in the very same situation! I'm blocked chosing the MM pickup for my project bass...
    Someone tried Ken Armstrong MM pickups? thanks

7. RPIcka

RPIcka

Apr 19, 2006
    BC, Canada
    Anyone?

8. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    John East now makes a pre-amp based on the pre-Ernie Ball Stingray. I'd probably give that one a shot with a Nordy or Delano pickup.

9. IME, the Barlolini MM sounds nothing like a StringRay. The Nordstrand and Basslines (Seymour Duncan) both do a great job though. I have a Basslines, taken out of a Lakland, in a bass I'm experimenting with and it sounds very StingRayish.

10. quee

quee

Jul 28, 2005
    A Nordstrand pickup with a John East MM pre comes close to the sound of and old MM, although the John East preamp has a slightly more modern sound to the eq which is no bad thing. The sound of MM preamps does vary depending what year they were made in, the main feature being loads of top end boost. The John East has this top end boost but is very low noise.

11. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    Nordstrand MM4.2 / OBP-1

AWESOME :hyper::hyper::hyper:

DSCF0133.jpg

12. I also have the OBP-1 along with the Basslines MM pu. It seems to nail the SR tone.

13. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Why don't you look at the Musicman preamp and pickup that's currently listed in the classifieds. It's a 3 band eq and factory pickup.
    I've also usd the Duncan setup with great results.
    The John East preamp is supposed to be the closest to the old 2 band eq sound. Depends on which you want.

Sorry, but Bartolini completely misses the mark on getting the MM sound.

14. RPIcka

RPIcka

Apr 19, 2006
    BC, Canada
    Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. I really like the option of an active/passive switch ala Nordstrand and Bartolini and I do like the sound of a Lakland MM bridge p/u, which why I was thinking Bartolini. Anyone have experience with an EMG MM p/u and EQ?

15. RPIcka

RPIcka

Apr 19, 2006
    BC, Canada
    Any more opinions would be great.

16. I've played Laklands with the Bartolini pickups and the Basslines (Duncan). IMO the Bartolini sounds NOTHING like a StingRay but the Basslines pretty much nails it. If you're after a SR tone, stay away from the Bart. Stick with Basslines or Nordstrand.

17. RPIcka

RPIcka

Apr 19, 2006
    BC, Canada
    I like the SR tone but I dont mind a little modern twist. I was contemplating a Glock pre but I dont see any one pickup models out there.

18. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    +1 I have a Bart MMC in one of my basses. I hear that the Seymour Duncan's are almost exactly alike. To my ears the Bart is a very wide frequency, smooth sounding PU without a lot of punch. The Stingray is a more mids-focused punchy pup but not as "refined" sounding as the Bart but punches you in the head. I think of the Bart as a great pup for bass-centric music and the Stingray sound as great in a heavier guitar driven environment. YMMV. :D

19. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Nordstrand mm4.2

humbucking (dual coil) 4 string Music Man®-type bass pickups

This pickup is an accurate reproduction of an early pre-Ernie Ball® Music Man® pickup. It uses the same wire, the same magnets, and has the same DC resistance. As a result, it sounds just like the early Music Man® basses that are so widely coveted. Includes black cover (exposed pole pieces).

[​IMG]

BTB MMSR Preamp by John East
    east-mmsr-v-t-b_front.jpg

BTB MMSR Preamp Description

The BTB-MMSR has been designed with characteristics very similar to the original MM Stingray© 2 Band EQ, but is not a copy of the original circuit. The original used a single op-amp chip (single amplifier stage in the form of a chip) for both bass and treble circuits, whereas this unit utilises a more modern dual op-amp chip (two amplifiers stages in a single chip).

This unit is supplied fully wired, including 3 single pots, knobs, jack and battery clip, which may be spliced into an existing battery box, as would be available, in most cases. * Single Knob - VOLUME

* Single Knob - Late 70s MM style TREBLE

* Single Knob - Late 70s MM style BASS

POWER REQUIREMENTS: 9-18V, 1.25mA

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021