Advice on a rig upgrade (V4B), not sure which cab to get.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boy_Narf, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf

Dec 19, 2013
    Hello Everyone,

I've been playing an SB500H through a TC1510 for a while now and I'm itching to upgrade. For all of my recent demos I have been using the stock bass amp plugin from the Amplitube custom shop. It sounds KILLER! Just love the grind I get out of it when I set the tubes to 6L6. It is apparently modelled after an SVTCL, so I started to research the CL. First off the price a bit high for me, and I'm not sure I would ever need 300 watts of power. What I am looking for is dirt and grind. Enter the V4B. I honestly had no idea these things existed until I started researching on TB.

Anyway, the V4B is right in my price range, but I'm a bit stuck on cabs. For the time being I will probably use my TC1510 (please no comments, I've already heard it all), but defiantly want something better down the road. I want a cab I don't have to upgrade again in the future, so of course I went straight to the 810AV. I then started to do some research and found people seem to prefer the 610HLF and even the 212AV to it. I had always wanted my final bass rig to have a pair of OBC115 cabs, so that is another option (Major Orange fan here). For the money I thinking a 610 or 810 would probably sound better (not really sure though).

What do you guys think? Would you go for the 810AV, 610HLF, 212AV (possibly add a second down the road), or the pair of OBC115 cabs?

Portability is not an issue. Like my 612 Orange rig, it sits at home and is used for rehearsal/writing. I intend to park the cab in the music room so weight/size is not a concern. For gigs I have an SB115 that I absolutely love. I will most likely keep on using that, or buy a portable beater cab on Kijiji for the V4B.

If it matters my main bass is a Godin A4 Ultra. I currently run a BB preamp and a mosquite blender but intend to lose all the pedals once I get the V4B.

Thanks,

***EDIT: I just looked up the Traynor 810 which is beyond affordable compared to the other cabs I have been looking at. Might be a good option aswell.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  2. If size and weight aren't a problem , go with the Ampeg 8 10. Everything else is a "close but no cigar" situation.

3. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf

Dec 19, 2013
    Cool thanks. I might do a shootout between that and the Traynor. Nice to buy local if it can make the cut.

4. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf

Dec 19, 2013
    Howdy!

Tried the V4B and a YBA200 tonight. V4B was soo much smoother. really sounded great. Will say it was a bit too warm for my A4 Ultra, but with a NG2 it sounded killer. Problem is I played the NG2 and decided I wanted that instead haha. Great amp though. Awesome tone and very manageable at 100 watts too. Plan to pick one up in the future.

Dp1363 likes this.
  5. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    I have an Ampeg V4B (a vintage one and a new one) 810 AV is king, it's my number one.. I also have a 212 AV, and I never use it. Not really loud enough, doesn't sound anything like an 810.
    When the 810 is too big for the room, I often use an old Kustom 2x15 Tuck 'n Roll. It sounds great with the V4B.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Ya, can't beat the 810e, really, but the 212av is also a great smaller cab that sounds a lot like an 810e. It's probably not identical, but it's close. 610hlf is also sweet and sounds a lot more like the 810e than people think.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021