Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on a s/h cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Microbass, Feb 7, 2005.

1. heya fellas, I spotted a 4x10 cabinet on the 'Bay today. It's a little beaten, but atm it is cheap.

Now, the seller has stated "the cab has been sitting in my garage for 5 years, but the only visible signs of age is corrosion on the metal grill".

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3781434742

I emailed him asking if he could look at the cones for me, and he informs me that the cones all look fine, no visible cracks or tears or folds, and that the cab was covered by a PVC covering for the 5 years.

So I'm wondering, shoudl I go for this, providing it fits my budget? I exclusivly want a Trace rig.
    Are there any other topics I shoudl approach the seller to innvestigate? cheers!

:bassist:

2. teh bump

3. If the drivers ARE all OK I can't really see how you could go wrong - depending on what you pay for it, obviously. :D :D

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah it could be a great deal

anly thing that weirds me out is the picture doesn't appear to be of that cab, but just a standard TE picture

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I agree about the top pic, but the big one at the very bottom looks like the actual cabinet...with carpet goo and the whole shebang...

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    really? i only get the bottom picture which is huge, no top pic, maybe our browsers are set different or something.

7. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The picture seems to be of the actual cabinet. The edges are cropped very close to the cab and whited out, so it looks deceptively like a promo photo.

8. You can see the rust and some torn bits of tolex on the cab... :)

9. Ask about cat piss and rodent damage.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Good point Bruce!!! I'm always EXPECTED to completely examine a new (to me) cabinet for signs of insect or rodent infestation/damage before I can bring it in the house.

I've been fortunate to avoid both (AFAIK)...although I've removed a fair amount of kitty fur and have actually skinned and recoverd a cabinet that was nastier than I first suspected in the fur/goo/claw marks, etc. department.

11. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that's funny. reminds me of the 3 homeless kittens i took in temporarily years ago. Spent an while looking for one only to see it emerging from the rear port of my goliath cab! Seems they all appreciated the insulation and thought it made a decent bed.