Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on a small pratice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by onadowner, Jul 1, 2001.

1. onadowner

onadowner

May 23, 2001
    Texas
    Hey everyone, I need some advice. I'm in need of a small practice amp, around 30w or more through atleast a 10 or 8, any suggestions? Anyhow, I'm looking for something in the $150 to a little over $200 range (maybe 250)....nothing pricey just something to travel with.

Also if I choose to get a used amp, what are some of the major factors in making my choice...besides ofcourse sound ?! Should I examine any certain spots of function or electronics?

Oh yeah, I play mostly rock/metal type music....but I'm trying to focus more on the roots (Jazz, Blues, etc) now, so something to compliment those styles will be great. My bass is a SR305DX (first) with D'Addario Half/med guage....mostly finger style and at times pick.

Anyhow, dunno if this sounds stoopid, but I'm still new to bass and blind about amps. Thanks for any input. Later

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I think that SWR's LA either 8 or 12 would fit into that price range but I'm not quite sure. I've been told that they're pretty good. I know that Crate and Peavey also have offerings in that category. Personally, I've never been happy with a practice amp. The SWR Workingman's 10 is the smallest thing that I can still get the tone and volume that I want out of it (10" woofer/tweeter and 80/100 watts). I own a Crate BX-15, but it's 12 watts and 8" speaker don't do it for me (I easily overdrive both the amp and the speaker since I play with boosted low frequencies).

At any rate, here's some links (hope that I get them right) to some quality bass amp companies that I think have offerings in those categories. Of the list, SWR is probably the best known for tone and quality (though that is a personal thing, seeing as I don't really like the standard SWR tone all that much - way too much treble). Crate stuff isn't bad, but in my experience you really need to spend a bit of money with them to get something good (that may not always hold true though). I hear a lot of good things about Peavey, but since I don't like how they sound I don't own one.
    http://www.swrsound.com
    http://www.crateamps.com
    http://www.peavey.com

I know there's more out there, but that's what comes to mind at the moment.

3. $ 150 / $ 250.. hmm..

$ 250 - Crate BX25DLX ( 25W 1x10" + built in effects :D )
    $ 150 - Trace Elliot Boxer 15 ( 15W 1x8" )
    $ 200 - Trace Elliot Boxer 30 ( 30W 1x10" )
    $ 250 - Trace Elliot Boxer 65 ( 65W 1x12" )
    $ 200 - SWR LA-8 ( 30W 1x8" )
    $ 150 - Ibanez SW25DX ( 25W 1x10" )

( price is estimation, based upon a Dutch hardware catalogue i have in front of me )

4. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    I have a Hartke B30 that I take to accoustic jams and to jam with my guitar player. It is really good for practice because it has decent tone, and it gets pretty loud for a 30 watt amp pushing a 10". It falls in your price range, and i think its a really good amp. I have dropped it out of the back of a truck (accidentally of course) and nothing happened to it, vertually a perfect practice amp.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    if you can wait a little and have a little more money i highly suggest you the fender bassman 25. AWESOME.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. These are around $265, and sound better than any of the small combos mentioned so far.

25 watts, but louder than a lot of combos that claim 50.

If you play 5 or 6 string, it also handles the low B better than any of the combos mentioned so far.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'd go with a Peavey Minx 110. 35 watts, built like a tank and under $200. It's a combo you can take to a small gig.

8. onadowner

onadowner

May 23, 2001
    Texas
    Thanks all for the advice. I'll be going to GC tomorrow or so, and I'll take heed of what was said. Like I said I'm just looking for a little travel amp, nothing to gig with. Another thing I'd like to know, if you will....what controls (vol, treble, contour, etc) on a amp should I look for...and what's actually needed and/or just decoration?

Are there any bad companies or bad experiences with amp makers that I should keep a look out for? Oh and just for info, does anyone know anything (good) about that comapany Gorilla, I think they make amps...anyhow thanks again.

Excuse my practice amp idiocy. :D

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    the pice you quoted for the bassman 25 is sthe list or the street price?

i need a combo amp and i tried the bassman25 with great recults. the trouble is that the fender costs the corrsipective of 380us$ here in italy. so i started getting interested in the ampeg b100r, this is 600 us$ but could be used live as well more than the small fender. i do not have idea on what to do...maybe because i'm not used to spend money on a small combo amp even if the fender sounds GREAT. i was amazed by the power and expecially by the volume knob. at every settings the sound is the same, without the need to pull up the volume to have a decent sound!
    this for me is gold

10. The Minx 110 has my vote too. I bought a used one from eBay and really enjoy it. Single-hand carry, very solid, and reasonable simulation of the low B on my 5-string.

11. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    What's the scoop on the Danelectro Nifty 70? I sure see a lot of them on e-bay. Anyone like 'em/hate 'em?

12. onadowner

onadowner

May 23, 2001
    Texas
    Well I settled on a Crate BFX25 x10 amp...$254 at GC.....dunno, guess I kinda fell in love with it. I tried as many as I could, and to my knowledge all the ones mentioned...and thanks again for your help.

I have to admit though my choice was loosey boosted by the fact that this little one had a lot of built in efx....and right now I'm not shelling out for any pedals. The tone is great, I'm happy, thanks all.