1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice on a Squier VM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1987, Mar 24, 2009.

1. bassman1987

bassman1987

Dec 1, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Hi everyone,

I have the opportunity to pick up a barely used Squier VM Jazz (the 70's Marcus Miller looking one) for $200, I figure it would be a good backup for my Warwick Corvette Standard (same pup configuration).

Seems like a sweet deal to me, but I'm not too familiar with this bass. Who has one? Do you like it? How versatile is it? Should I lean towards this slightly used Squier or, say, a new SX Jazz?

2. I've got the Fretless VM Jazz (the Jaco looking one) that I purchased a few months ago. It's quite the insrument for the price. Squier has stepped up their game lately in the quality department. Plays and sounds as good as some Fender MIM's that I've played and it's half the price.

If it's in good shape, for $200, you can't go wrong!

3. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    I just don't like the action on it, even after a setup it seems to be rather high.

4. p0werslav3

p0werslav3

Feb 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I bought one on impulse. Had it set up, and I like the way it plays.

I would try it first if you can. I tried a couple until I found one that felt right.

5. I've got the fretted VM jazz and it is pretty much my number one. Solid all around. For 200 bucks I'd be on it.

6. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    It won't get nearly the same tone as your Wick, if thats what you're looking for, for one the Wick neck pickup is much closer to the bridge than the Jazz.

If however you're looking for a good quality but affordable bass, then I would definitley go for it.

7. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    It's pretty decent bass for the money. If the one you're intested in sounds and feels good to you then there's no real reason not to get it.

Keep in mind it will feel and sound completely different from a Corvette. Switching back and forth between them might take some getting used to.

8. bassman1987

bassman1987

Dec 1, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'm not expecting a VM Jazz to equal my Warwick, but as a backup instrument I figure it to be a solid choice due to the matching pickup configuration (even if the positions are different).

9. Play it first. I've played some that I loved and some that were crap. But if it's a nice one for $200 that's probably a good deal. Of course, the SX basses are great deals too so if that Squier isn't a good one I'd suggest grabbing an SX off Rondo's website.