1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice on a used Ampeg cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jweber76, Oct 30, 2013.

1. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    Hey guys, I have been hunting around for a used portaflex 210 cab to go with my pf350 head. While out poking around today I came across an SVT-210HEN for $199...its got some miles on it and the exterior is torn up a bit... I'm not really concerned with cosmetics but what does concern me is that the speakers are not original. The two 10 in speakers say Epiphany (special?) in white cursive writing across them. I know nothing about epiphany stuff, are they any good? How do they stack up against the stock ampeg? Should I forget about this cab right now and hold out for the portaflex model that was made for my amp? Please help! Thanks again!
    -John

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Never heard of Epiphany. Red flag.

3. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    DOH! Epifani? OK, that makes a difference, and I might pull down my red flag if that's the case. Still, I'd like to hear it before I plunked down dollar one.

5. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    Epiphani is a very high end cabinet maker based in brooklyn, not sure anymore but was based out of same building as Fodera and is very common with the Fodera crowd usually with Walter Woods head on top. IIRC they starting making stuff overseas and price point came down but so did quality. Not sure how to tell which is which.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1. Listen to it first.

I think Epiphani is/was a sort of highend brand. I think they may've been known for more clear/hifi type sound...not very Ampeggy, but I'm not familiar enough with them to know.

In any case, they'll be OEM speakers designed for a different company with different tone goals. There's really no way to know what's going on there other than to listen to it yourself, with your stuff.

7. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    Yes, they looked just like that picture! Hmmm, looks like I'll have to cart my head and one of my axes to work on Monday to give it a little test drive. It wasn't a brand I was familiar with and I just wanted to be sure that they weren't some radio Shack junk.
    Thanks again TB!