Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on adding low end to my 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OrionManMatt, May 25, 2004.

1. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    I would search for this but I'm not exactly sure how well any searching would find an answer for me.

I currently own a Peavey 210TX combo amp and I am wanting to add some low end to it. The amp has 200 watts to supply something else and I was wondering what to add to it. Would it be smarter to add additional 10's or to add 15's? It seems like there could be cancellation issues adding anything different but I could be wrong.

Please, please help me out here and share some insight on this matter.

2. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Never even thought about a single 12. Thanks.

Anyone else? I think some of the problem I'm also finding is that a 2x10 cab is only going to give me so much output...

3. sjphi

sjphi

May 24, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    I'd go with a 1X15 cab. I currently use a 400 watt head, a 2X10 cab, and a 1X15 cab, and it sounds great. A 12'' would work as well, as above poster said, but I think a 15'' is more up your alley if you're looking to increase your low end.

4. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I was using a 210/112 combination and really liked it. It was really punchy but kicked some major low-end ass as well. My rig= GK700rb>yorkville xc210>avatar cb112= great sound.

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    It depends on the 210. EA, Bergantino, Epiphany, Accugroove 210's are total monsters lacking nothing in low end output. I use EA VL210's and people can't believe how deep and clean my tone is. I had one guy ask me what kind of subwoofer our PA has. You should have seen his face when I told him we have no subwoofer and I don't get any PA support. :D

6. I recommend the 12 over the 15 based on your current setup. I think that if you have 200w to feed a cab a single 12 would be the right speaker for low end AND added percieved volume. Sometimes 15's need a bunch of power to push and you may not have enough.

7. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    200 watts, for me, doesn't seem a like whole lot, it's almost like the bare minimum for 2x10. It might be enough for a single 12 cab, as mentioned a 15 might require more juice. Or another 2x10, if you like the sound of the 2x10s.

I agree, I use 2x EBS 210 cabs getting 300watts each. I will be adding more later, but I'm satisfied for now.

8. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    The hard part about this is that I don't know that many people that are 1) familiar with my cab; 2) good enough with audio to take the time to tell me what assistance my setup needs.

To me, it feels like I am lacking a little from everything but I can't afford to use much else. I bought it for $600 new two IRS refund checks ago and my friend's jazz teacher uses it. I just wish I knew more about this kind of stuff and knew what to listen for. I generally don't ever turn it past 4 on pre- and post-gain and the EQ is set flat, except some slight attenuation at 680Hz and slight boosting in the treble frequencies.

Add GK to the list of capable 210s. I played during a main church service with a GK-1001RB for my monitor and it was amazing. It actually made my Ibanez SR-305DX sound good plus had the output I was looking for.

On second thought, it was angled right at me...

If I sell the Peavey I have no idea what it's worth or what I could afford to replace it that would be a step up. Sigh...