Advice on amp/cab set-up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rhymeface, Aug 21, 2013.

1. rhymeface

rhymeface

Dec 6, 2012
    Hi all. Thanks for reading. Need a bit of advice on my amp set-up - just worried I'll end up wrecking the cab.

So I acquired a Warwick ProFet 5.1 (500w @ 4 ohms) and a Warwick 1x15" cab (300w RMS @ 8ohms)

I'm wondering, do I need to buy another cab? Would the cab be able to handle the amp? And if so, what would be be a reasonable idea to buy?

I was thinking of a 2x10" cab just to save space (live in a block of flats) but those I've seen are all 4ohms and by what I've read and understood, that would give an impedance of something like 2.66ohms. Is it right that you should have the cab impedance lower than the amp impedance?

All help and advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2. Is the rig loud enough for what you are doing right now? If so, you dont *need* to add another cab. Should you need more volume, I suggest you add a matching 115 cab.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 if it's volume you need, a 2nd identical 15 cab is what you want. Otherwise, enjoy the rig.

4. Only if you want to kill your amp.......

You need to stay ABOVE the amps minimum rated impedance.

Lastly, in the setup you are thinking of, the 4 ohm cab will get 2/3 of your power, while the 8 ohm cab will only get 1/3 of the power - not a good idea.

5. rhymeface

rhymeface

Dec 6, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. Am trying to get my head around these things.

Bass Pounder - sorry, was a typo, meant to have them the other way round in that suggested arrangement. Thanks for the comments on the different impedance cabs. Noted.

CL400Peavey / RickenBoogie - It's small venue gigs at the mo. Guess I am slightly obsessing with the idea that I'll blow the cab up by driving it too hard.

6. Then add a second 115. Same foot print on the stage, more power, more head room, closer to your ear. Its a win-win situation.

7. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Personally I would vote for your original suggestion of adding a 2x10 rather than another 1x15, but that's more a matter of personal preference (you can spend all day looking at threads arguing about pros and cons of those options). There are tons of good 2x10's out there that run at 8ohm.

8. I disagree with your statement. I have yet to see a real pro to mixing cabs. IMHO its buying with your eyes.

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

The problem you face with this suggestion is that there is no way of telling how the two cabinets will work together without acquiring the second cabinet and trying it out. If it sounds poor you have to sell the cab and buy another. This can get both costly and troublesome and yet STILL not find a good match.

Two identical cabinets always work well with each other. It's the simplest route to accomplish a good pairing.

10. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I'm aware that many folks on TB believe that mixing cabs is a bad idea. The OP is welcome to read any of the many threads on this issue if he wants more information. I have my opinion, you have yours, and the OP is welcome to make up his own mind.

However, if part of your comment is intended to suggest that "real pros" don't mix cabs, then that is simply false. You can open up any bass magazine and see rig descriptions of pros with mixed rigs, or check out threads such as Touring Rigs of the Stars that are full of them.

11. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    It's certainly true that if the OP's goal is simply to have the same sound but louder, then it's easiest to buy a matching second cab. However, the OP suggested that he might want his second cab to be smaller/lighter. He may also have tonal goals other than simply getting louder.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Plenty of pros mix cabinets, he said there are no pros to mixing cabinets, meaning there are no real positives to mixing driver sizes. If you would like to hear the science behind the cons there is plenty right here on tb, there are no pros beyond "well it works for me". Which it might and is fine, but it is not recommended by the professionals who build these things.

13. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I read it differently, but I apologize if I interpreted it incorrectly. However, for the OP's sake, I will again say that statements like "there are no real positives" are matters of opinion, as is whether the sound of mixed cabs is generally better, worse, or neither. There is science behind arguments that it is not optimal for sound, but that doesn't change whether or not a particular setup works better or not for you in practice.

And, similar to the statement about "pros," it is not accurate to say that mixing cabs "is not recommended by the professionals who build these things." It is correct to say that it is not recommended by some professionals who build these things, including some who post on TB, much like some players avoid mixing cabs and some believe it works great.

14. I don't know about "some", I believe the only builder that says it is fine is Aged Horse, and even then it applies to cabs DESIGNED to work together.

15. +1

I have not seen very many threads that make the statement, "I tried two different cabs, and did a shoot out between two of each and a mixed set and liked the mixed rig better than two of cab A or two of cab B."

Also in your opinion, what are the positives in practice of mixing cabs?

Who cares what pro's play? The most important part of their signal chain is their hands.

+1

Its best to not confuse marketing drivel with professional designers.

16. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Sorry, OP. Your thread has been officially hijacked into a mixed-cab debate. As has been said already, there are tons of threads discussing the pros and cons of this issue on TB, so you can read up if you're interested. If you don't feel that your original question has been answered yet, feel free to say so.

17. rhymeface

rhymeface

Dec 6, 2012
    No, it's fine - sorry to open a can of worms.

To be honest, I'm just concerned with the volume - if my current set up is loud enough, then fair enough. Having a cab at ear level would be great though.

Size and price are probably more of a consideration for me than tone at this point - bands only just starting to play regularly and none of us are flush for money (no Ampeg set-ups for me yet).

Extra 1x15 or 2x10 - both seem reasonable solutions. Keeping it Warwick would be a good idea, no?

Thanks for all the input regardless.

18. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    You'll find out soon enough if the volume is loud enough. What type of music do you play? In my experience a 1x15 won't be loud enough in a live setting for most any type of music with distorted guitars, but can be enough for plenty of other playing situations. You shouldn't have any problems with wrecking your 1x15 cab with that amp in normal use though -- provided that you don't run the amp into clipping too much by trying to squeeze too much volume out of it.

And yes, the more similar the other cab (model, brand, speaker size) is to your current cab, the "safer" it will be in terms of knowing it will sound good (although that doesn't mean other configurations can't sound as good or better), so sticking with Warwick could be a good idea. That being said, there's no shame in just grabbing whatever cheap cab you can find that fits in with your current impedence and wattage specs, if you need volume fast and don't have the budget for anything else. Later on down the line when you're ready for something better you can always sell/trade that cheap cab or keep it around for practice/backup.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021