Advice on amp for "the tone".

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ilovenofrets, Aug 21, 2013.

1. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets Bassist for TRIPL3 THR3AT Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Tone search! That never ending quest for the perfect tone. We all deal with it, I know. Here's where I'm at. Playing my 1985 Westone Spectrum GT, I started making a few patches on my Korg Pandora PX4B. Using the 1st compressor model set at 57 % and the 1st Valve amp model, using headphones, I have found THAT sound. Big, full and warm, yet somewhat bright and very punchy, not quite dirty, but the sweetest growl I have ever heard. Closest comparison I can give is somewhere between Tommy Shannon's tone on In Step and Eddie Jackson's tone on Operation Mindcrime, with a touch of Duff Mckagen's Appetite sound. I would like to replicate this sound with my live rig. I am currently using Hartke XL cabs; 4x10 for most gigs, and 1x15 added for the bigger clubs. These are my favorite cabs, and will remain in the equation. My current head is an Eden WT400. This is what I'm thinking I want to change. I also use a Zoom B9.1ut and have spent hours experimenting with amp and cab models, and EQ'ing, with both headphones and the rig, and I'm just not getting this tone. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the Valve model in the PX4B is a Mesa 400+. Perhaps this is the missing link? Maybe an SVT? Aguilar DB750? Maybe GK 700RB with a good tube overdrive? What do you all think? I'm open to any suggestions on the amp that will get me the tone I have described, and so desperately crave!

2. This is going to take a lot of mixing and matchin on your part to see what works with your playing style and what you are hearing. I think your cabs will be your limiting factor in the experiment, so branch out as you try gear.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Agreed! The Hartke XL cabs have a specific sound to them - it's hard to get around that. I am glad you like them, but if you want that magical tone you just created, you need to try different speaker cabinets.

Why not try the Ampeg SVT CL/Heritage with the 810e? Don't touch the Ultra Low suck button and you will probably get really close to the sound you like. My guess is you like compressed tones and the sound of tubes. Go the tube amp route and see what happens.

4. ilovenofrets

Dec 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    My thought was that the XL cabs would work because of their prominent midrange tone and nice top end response. But I suppose I should experiment as much as possible. Really.don't want to go the route of an 8x10, it would be overkill for most of my gigs. Open to any suggestions, and the experimentation begins.

5. I think a recording would help.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    The only difference is the weight of the cab and the extra speakers. Sizewise it's the same as a 410/115 rig, and a lot of people think an 810 rig is too much until they use it. And then some of them still think it's too much ;) but mostly it's centered on weight issues. Rarely do they complain about the improved tone and overall bigger sound, even if they use it at the same volume they always used.

7. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Honestly, I don't think the 810 is all that big of an object. Fortunately, us Floridians don't have to do much staircase schlepping of our rigs. :)

Also, I was blessed to be big enough to push/pull/lift an 810 as needed.

8. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Actually, it's my overall size and long limbs that earned me the nickname "Stretch Armstrong" lol :p

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Really? I thought it's because your skin would stretch like elastic ;)

10. Amps--Peaveys , yamahas , Sunn , Fender , Westbury (took over Univox). Everything sounded better through an Ampeg 8 10. I've tried 2 10s , 2 15s (an old Peavey loaded with 2 15 Scorpions sounded pretty good) 4 10s a Peavey 18-20. A 4 10 with an 18 under it. The 8 10 kinda put them all to shame. DANGER. I recently got an SVT classic. DON'T do this to yourself or you will be doomed to carry it around for the rest of your life lol.

11. ilovenofrets

Dec 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I am really loving all this feedback on the cabinet issue. Let me be clear that I don't always use the full stack. Most of the gigs my band currently plays, the 4x10 is more than enough. The 1x15 is added for bigger stages/clubs. That said, if I were to buy an 8x10, I know where I can get a great deal on a N.O.S. Hartke 810XL. Call it loyalty if you will, but I really love the attack and punch of the aluminum drivers.
    As far as the original issue, the amp tone, it's just got to be all-tube. Played an SVT III Pro. While it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it was very close. So the hunt is on for a tube beast.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I hear you. I dig my SS stuff but there's nothing like a tube amp.

13. 3armdave

3armdave

Sep 29, 2012
    Try a traynor yba300
    Wl sound great with those cabs

14. LowBC

LowBC Commercial User

Nov 17, 2008
    Music Go Round - Aurora, CO (owner) We buy used gear!
    That Eden head you have sounds great all by itself - you might find that you like the sound of that through a good cab without an added effects processor. Good luck!

15. ^^ This.

I get that sound with just a Gretsch bass (growly pickups) and a WT-1205 amp. The Xsonics speakers only reproduce the sound (so did my D210XSTs); solid lows, good detail, plenty of midrange.

16. ilovenofrets

Dec 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Update. Looked at the manual for the PX4B. What it does when you select an amp model is automatically puts it with it's most commonly associated cabinet, even if you don't turn cab modeling on. The first valve model is an SVT with the ultra-low engaged. So I'm sure you can.all guess which cab model it's paired with. This is why I love this community. A few of you have suggested an 8x10 cab, and it looks like you hit the perverbial nail dead center on the head(pun definitely intended-lol)! So not only am I looking for a great tube beast, but an 8x10 cab may be making it's way into the equation. Currently looking at a Peavey VB-2 head. Theygeat great reviews(a few I've read here), and a lot of players have compared them to an SVT classic in terms of tone and volume. And the preamp on it really appeals to me. Really hoping I can get it. After that, I will be taking it to a few music shops in the area and driving a few 810's. The quest for this tone continues!

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021