1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice on Ampeg Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nicfargo, Apr 14, 2009.

1. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    Hey Gang,

I did a search already and couldn't really find a good answer to my question.

So, at my house I have a SVT 3-pro and an SVT 4-pro. I would like to sell one and keep the other. I have played through the 4-pro some, but just got the 3-pro and haven't had a chance to play it much (read: at all). I have a svt-810e that I'm playing through. This is my first venture into the world of heads and cabs. Anywho, should the 4-pro and 3-pro sound the same, just with the 4-pro having more headroom? Will the 3-pro have the edge tone wise because of the additional tubes on the drivers? Any advice would be great. I don't have a way right now to A/B them very easily that I'm aware of. Also, I'm at work right now and can't play through them...and I'm a little eager to see what all of you have to say about my plight on which one to get rid of.

2. Wow, tough dilemma... I am sure from others on TB you'll get some of the same advice that I am going to give you now: sell the Pro 4 to me for $10. I am a doctor, trust me...

:)

Seriously, I have the 3 Pro and love its tone. I am no expert on amps, but I do know it has an edge to it, a "coloration" that some here do not prefer. If you are playing 60's and 70's rock, it is lots of fun. I have Dimarzio DP122 pups on my P bass and they sound great together, especially at 4 ohms.

Good luck in your dilemma!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Plight? Two great heads is a plight?

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Both are good heads, but you really need to A/B them in the same room to see what the two of them can do for you. The 3 PRO has a little tube growl to it, while the 4 PRO is a cleaner version of the 3 PRO, but not by much. I would say the extra oomph of the 4 PRO through the 810e will be well worth it. Make sure you have the correct cable for the 4 PRO so you can mono bridge it correctly into the 810e. Otherwise, you are only getting 500 watts into the 810e.

Either way through the 810e, you will have a good stage monitor.

5. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Keep em both....

Seriously, they sound different. Try them out and practice with both, and if you can keep both, do it.

6. personally I like the 3. But either way your good.

7. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I have a 3Pro and really like it.
    Just recently thought I'd like more power to try some ineffecient cabs.
    Aren't there more threads that indicate a reliability problem with the 4Pro's?

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I have a 6Pro, which essentially has the power of the 4Pro, and the tone of the 3Pro. Tough decision. I'd keep both, or dump them both for a 6Pro. The driver tubes impact the tone alot, I think, more than just the wee bit of overdrive. Fwiw, you'll get more money for the 4Pro, and that leaves you with a tone machine.

9. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    What if I sold the 4 pro, got a power amp, and used the 3-pro as a pre-amp...would I get the advantage of the Driver tubes...or would that be part of the power amp? Or, use the 3-pro as pre and 4-pro for power...drive tubes in effect or not?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    An SVT 3 Pro isn't enough power for you in an 810e? OK ;)

How about you sit with them for a month and then decide? Nobody can make the decision for you which one to like more.

11. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The 3 PRO pre-amp out sound does not include the driver tube influence. So it really is not worth it to use that 3 PRO with the power amp. Nor would it be advantageous to use the 3 PRO pre-amp out into the 4 PRO.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Do like Jimmy suggested, keep them both for a while, play through them both, get to know them both. then you can make an educated decision on which you like better.

13. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Trust me here, you're gonna love the SVT-III PRO. It's the greatest hybrid head ever built by Ampeg. It has enough "tubeyness" and EQ capabilities to flavor many tonal settings from smooth blues to aggressive metal, almost to the point of not needing those pesky power tubes of the SVT. Rock the damn thing at a 4oHm load through Ampeg 10's, and you are cooking, brother!

Set the "gain" knob so that when you are playing your hardest, the little red light will stay on about 75% of the time. Don't be scared. And don't press in the ULTRA HI/LO buttons. Just forget about them! The rotary 5-way mid freq knob is your weapon, and the midrange knob is your warrior for cutting through the mix. Use the Graphic EQ sparingly, and don't make no dang smiley face with it!! Gosh...

14. +++1

Jimbob

15. J10elynne

J10elynne

Apr 15, 2009
    keep the 4 pro, I just traded mine for an SVT Classic. However I loved the 4pro while i had it. Its a great head

16. Picking up my old SVT810 again today!

I used to run an SVT3PRo through it...great set up.

Now I am using an SVP-CL into a massive power amp...can't wait!!

17. Knifedge

Knifedge

Jan 24, 2009
    I tried many Ampeg amps.. my favourite is the 3Pro.... more than enough power for just about every stage.. then there is that tube growl... and through my 410 ampeg cab, it moves me like no other setup has. But, that's up to you... :)

18. one day, take notes on the sounds of both at varying settings, starting with the 3pro then the 4pro. then repeat the next day but play through the 4pro first. even better if you could try them out on gigs. this is your best bet ant a conclusive deciscion.

19. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    Thanks everyone,

Jimmy, I'm not sure if the 3pro is or isn't enough power for me through my 810. I just read that the 3pro is underpowered, blah blah blah, etc. I look at it's 450 watts and the 810's 800 watts and wonder if there's a problem there or not. I've been playing through both the last couple of days. Both seem very powerful. Like I said, I'm pretty new to this separate head and cab thing so don't know what is a good idea and what isn't.

20. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    All that really matters is what sounds good to you. A 3Pro and 810 seems like a solid rig to me.