1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice on an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Timko, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Timko

Timko

Mar 6, 2008
    Bar Harbor, Maine
    I'm in a new band that has a few medium sized gigs coming up and i need to finnaly invest my money on a good sized amp. My question is, what is a good sized amp? i have very little knowledge on the subject, and any input in my deciding process would be greatly apreciated.

2. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    This question gets asked almost every single day. Perhaps you'll find an answer by searching this Amp forum.

3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Louder than your guitarist's :)

4. sgfender85

sgfender85

Sep 10, 2005
    You will want at least a 200 watt combo amp. Bigger is always better so you are not always pushing the amp to the max. A 410 cabinet with a 500 watt head is popular for stage use.

5. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    IMO, a good-sized amp setup for medium sized gigs is 300-500 watts through a single 2x12 or 4x10 OR 2 smaller cabs like 2 1x12's or 2 2x10s (I use a 1x12 AND a 2x10 and it works great).

The good thing about using smaller cabs is that you can use a modular approach, that is use only 1 of the 2 cabs for small coffee house/acoustic-style gigs and use both cabs for larger gigs.

6. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    A 200 watt 2x10 combo would probably suit you well. It depends on the drummer and the guitarists how well you'll hear yourself.

7. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i would take a look at those new superlight ampeg combos....cause on paper they look like the gigging bassplayers dream!!

8. sgfender85

sgfender85

Sep 10, 2005
    thats what I was looking into but somehow I ended up with a 810 cab! Moving this wont be fun but it will all be worth it!