advice on an Ampeg purchse.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by G3Mitch, Nov 9, 2011.

1. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    After several attempts to get my piddly 100W Oragne combo to compete in a jam(guitar,drums, keys), it just DOESN'T cut it. at all really, all the pedals run thru it just make it more muddy and peak etc. Maybe thru PA its ok.. but id rather have a louder amp.

anyway.. im looking at financing an ampeg set up. ha.. good ol loans. it'll mean 2 years paying it off... but nothing gives me more enjoyment than playing bass.

neaways, i know there are plenty of ampeg threads out there, so apologies. but help is always appreciated from u guys. wit my sorta price range(or as much as i can get with my credit limit...:rollno:) I was looking at the SVT3 PRO head through a SVT410HLF cab. is this a good combonation? and enuf to be HEARD by everyone in the room?

2. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    or wud the 8x10 be better for abit extra?? i shud of added i like playing with fuzz, od, dist... but with 4x10 can always be added more right?

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    both cabs are capable of being loud, but IMO, the 8x10 would be better suited for playing with fuzz/OD than a 410HLF since the 810 doesn't have a tweeter.
    after owning a 410HLF, a 610HLF and the 810 (all are nice cabs), the only one that i kept is the 810.

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    You can always turn off the tweeter on the 410hlf or the 610hlf when using distortion.

The rig you have picked will sound great, but if it will put you into massive debt, I suggest looking for some used gear first. Post what you find and we can guide you to what will work for you.

"fill the whole room" - subjective and this will change with every show. A commercial bass cab is best used as a monitor on stage. For smaller rooms, you can crank it up, but it will not do as well as a PA system. PA speakers are made to spread sound much more efficiently than a commercial bass cab. At this point, you might as well get two 410's or an 810. Go big or go home.

5. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    sounds like 8x10 is the go.

So the SVT3 is a pretty good head?? the SVT Classic is faaaaar to expensive

6. iamjustin

iamjustin

May 9, 2010
    Rhode Island
    i just got a used svt3 pro for $350, make sure youre patient and wait for a good deal, also i am running it with a 610, it's nice

7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You might want to give the PF-500 an audition with the 810? Or the "SVT"-7

8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    The 3 PRO is decent, but the 7 PRO I think has the edge. More wattage and a really good tone. Lightweight too.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Ya, the 7 Pro is the sweet spot of the SS line IMHO. It's all great stuff but the 7 Pro gets my vote for closest to an SVT without being an SVT.

10. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    hahah... patience... not something im known for.
    pretty sure they only stock the svt3. but im sure they could order in.
    will have a go on one this week.

cheers guys your advice is always appreciated.

11. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    +1 on a used 7pro ($550) and a used 810 ($550)

12. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

That is NZ pricing??

13. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    My apologies to the op for citing US pricing.

I'll read more carefully next time.

14. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    wudnt that be great haha

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021