1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice on an SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kahanamoku, Aug 14, 2012.

1. kahanamoku

kahanamoku

Aug 6, 2007
    I'm finally breaking down and buying a better amp after 2 shows in a row of having the volume knob cranked to 11 on my current setup.

Was down at my local shop today and played an SWR Super Readhead and I was really impressed. I've been reading other threads and finding out that the pre-Fender models are much better. Is there a way I can easily tell how old this amp is?

Any other input about this amp is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

:help:

2. I don't believe that any of the "Super" Redheads are pre-Fender, although I could be wrong. I actually don't think that any Redheads other than those that are 240 watts are pre-Fender. Maybe check in on the SWR club thread.

I loved my pre-Fender Redhead(s). If you can handle the weight of them, they are great amps, and I had nothing but awesome reliability with them.

3. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    If you dig the sound what difference does it make? Just syain'.

4. kahanamoku

kahanamoku

Aug 6, 2007
    I guess I was considering durability issues. Good point though.

smith plyr likes this.
  5. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    There are differences between the Pre-Fender and Post Fender models but to my knowledge they are mostly subtle and somewhat of improvements to the use-ability of the amp.

I have played both models and felt they sounded the same. The newer one seemed to have a bit more power though. Also you can find them on the used market in great shape for as little as $500. I have seen that before.

Anyway if you love those, it doesn't matter if its pre-fender or not they are just as good. The sound is the same. IMO

6. kahanamoku

kahanamoku

Aug 6, 2007
    Cool, thanks for the help guys. Can't wait to pick it up :bassist:

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, don't get all caught up in the hype. A lot of people make assumptions with no basis in fact.

8. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    I have owned lots of SWR gear over the years. Pre CBS, Post CBS and I can say that durability has never been an issue.
    SWR gear is pretty solid.

9. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    The same engineers worked on the post fender SWR that came from SWR just FYI.

The super redhead was made between 1996 and 2008 so look at the back of the amp. If it read made in Sun Valley it was pre if it says Corona its post.

10. kahanamoku

kahanamoku

Aug 6, 2007
    These are the types of reviews that scare me...

I blew mine within the first 50 shows. It's a good amp for a hobbyist or someone who isn't going to push it but for a touring musician or someone who likes to play a lot, stay away, it's a practice amp on steroids and you will blow it. I bought it for the big whallop in a small package but the unit didn't handle distortion well and heated up quick whenever I pushed it past 5 on the volume knob, distortion or not. It is great for recording and farting around with different styles but wasn't nearly as rugged as I thought it would be and I went back to my half stack gladly.

11. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I had one for a while, sold it for about $500 as I recall. Loved it, mine was not even a "Super", just a Redhead. If you like it go for it. If you hang here on Talkbass you will probably fall in love with something else soon enough anyway.

Many times I wish I still had it. You can do a lot with a 2x10 combo and even more with another 2x10 under it, aside from the weight it's a great package.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sounds like a dope who has no clue why you buy a combo in the first place.

EDIT: I'm talking about the review quoted, not the last post ;)

13. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    That's what I was thinking just did not want to say it. But there you have it!

14. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    Sounds like a pre Fender - redhead :p The original redhead was designed to be a studio combo, No LPF, low wattage for studio level volumes, and an integrated Tube DI which at the time was original.
    It was upped to the super because of all the people blowing them up or launching the speakers mechanical failure. Better speakers, bigger amp, different grill. Fender upped the power again in 08 going back to the Redhead name.

This guy was expecting a half stack (assuming a 4x10 and head) to compete with a combo. He didn't have the right tool for the job. You can pull a trailer with a honda civic at redline or a dodge at idle if ya get my drift.

15. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    SWRs are great amps, but they will get a little hot though.

16. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I dont believe the hype about pre fender swr's being better. I have owned pre and post fender swr's and they were all good.

17. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Quality wise they were all good. Sound wise I prefer the pre X versions.