1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice on Avatar cabs please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BluesOnBass, Jan 8, 2012.

1. BluesOnBass

BluesOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Holland, Michigan
    Hi all,

I have an opportunity to purchase an Avatar 410 for a good price. I know it is 4 ohms and that it is rated at 1400 watts. This tells me that it is the ceramic magnet, from looking at the Avatar website.

I have never played through a separate cab before. I have been using an Acoustic b200 combo for the last 4 years, and I really like it. I am wanting to be able to be heard in a larger setting when needed in the future.

I recently got an Ampeg PF 500 head, and so of course need a cab to play it through :smug:

I play mostly blues, motown, blues-rock, country-rock, and jazz.

I doubt I will need anything more than one cab in the forseeable future, and I doubt I will play to more than a smallish hall (say 500-750 people max), or possibly in a medium-large outdoor setting. The bands I am in feature one guitar, drums, keyboard, vocalist, and me on bass.

I am looking for a cab whose tone will suit the style of music I'm playing (low and warm for the most part). On a budget of $400 max.

My main question is do you think this cab will provide what I'm looking for in a single cab for the applications I'll be using it for? What concerns would you have, if any?

I pretty sure I could get what Im looking for from an Ampeg cab from what I've read and heard, but I can't afford that right now, and I want something SOONER if I can find something that might fit at a more affordable price :)

Any advice and input would be appreciated!

Thanks

2. It should fit your needs very well! Avatar makes good cabs at a reasonable price. :)

3. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm presently driving my two Avatar Neo 210 cabinets, used as a vertical 410, with a recently acquired Ampeg PF-500 head.
    LOVE this combination!!!

LOUD and full bass with great mids dispersion and projection!
    If the Avatar's horn turns out to be to bright/modern sounding to you...turn it to "almost" off and you'll get your blues/motown thump.

4. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Not to knock the ceramic drivers (well...kinda lol) but you might be more satisfied spending an extra $50 and getting the 2x10 with Neo drivers brand new. Without getting into the geeky details, the neos are plain and simple better. Since your head is a PF-500 you can sit the 2x10s on their side and fit the head quite well on the top while dispersing to the crowd in a very effective fashion. The height that you are adding will make it easier for you to hear on stage and will add to the overall presence of your amp.

It's an option to weigh out, but the reason I bring it up is because that ceramic cab will be 95lbs that you may or may not enjoy lugging to a show and playing through. A lot of guys are going to a vertical 2x10 because of ease of transportation and how efficient they are being made these days. I've played with a freakin LOUD drummer (6'4" body builder lol) and two guitarists with 100w+ amps and I've never struggled with my carvin bx500 and avatar neo 2x10.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The 4 ohm 410 should suit you well, so long as you never need more volume than it will provide.

6. BluesOnBass

Dec 17, 2010
    Holland, Michigan
    Thanks for the input! You bring up a point worth considering. I am going to check into this possiblity more I think. What size/type of venues have you played being able to project enough sound out? I worry a little that only one 2 x 10 would not give me enough output for a medium-large place. On the other hand, only having to lug around a 2x10 neo is a very attractive thought...

Also, do you have a 4 ohm or 8? I'd be getting a 4 so I can put the most power through it, but that means I can't add anymore if I need it. I'd like to get by with one cab if I can.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts!

7. BluesOnBass

Dec 17, 2010
    Holland, Michigan
    The orange and blue tolex does look pretty cool though... and they are running a color special right now.... hmmmm:ninja:

8. No not enough on its own, it needs a second for those size gigs so do not go with a 4 ohm cab. You get MORE sound from more speakers than the small gain in input wattage at 4 ohms. Think a 212 maybe for a single cab if you don't want the 410 solution, 215 or 412.

9. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    A side from weight why are the "neos are plain and simple better"?

10. A single 210 may work in some rooms for you, but I know it wouldn't for me. If you decide to buy new, I'd suggest an 8 ohm 2X10, that way you could add another 210 later for a vertical 410 stack.

11. BluesOnBass

Dec 17, 2010
    Holland, Michigan
    Thanks for the input! I think I will definately go with the 8 ohm option, so I can expand with more speakers in the future if needed. A good point.