Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advice on avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aron86, Mar 15, 2006.

1. aron86

aron86

Mar 14, 2006
    is avatar good?

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I've owned Ampeg, Schroeder, Dr. Bass, Aguilar, SWR and probably a few others that I can't think of. I bought an Avatar neo 210/212 set up a few weeks back and so far they're my favs. That's not to say that they blow any of the cabs away in any one area, just that, when everything, (i.e. weight, size, tone, output, etc...), is considered, although by a razor thin margin in some cases, I'd take these over anything else that I've owned.

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    that says VOLUMES when u factor in price. and i also support them. why pay more? avatar is amazing.

4. Agreed. I absolutely love my B212 Neo and I see myself using it for a long time.

5. Do some searches, pleny has been said about this.

My take on the consenus seems to be good quality, excellent value cabs. There are "better" performing cabs out there, but they cost much more, so they aren't better values.

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Avatar is known for good products at great prices. I love my Avatar 210 Delta and 115 Neo setup.

Check the reviews at harmonycentral.com and search this forum for more info.

7. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I played bass for the host band of a benefit a few days after I got the cabs. 5 or 6 other bassists, most of them pros, played through them literally all day long, lots of postive comments. The coolest part was sitting back when I wasn't playing and listening to other players go through my rig. I was really blown away at how authoritative they were, much more low end than I imagined, everyone loved the rig and it sounded great! I'm now a believer.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The only thing that seemed to bug me about the Avatars was the cabinet could come optionally with a regular or neodymium speaker. Which made me worry that the cabinet wasn't tuned for one or the other speaker. This isn't such a big deal, Schroeder and probably other manufacturers do the same.

Avatar neo's also have a solid dust cap and thus better midrange than some of the other neo's out there.

They just look impossible to beat for price and quality.
    That colored tolex looks sharp!

I would like to see them publish specs but cabinets selling for 4x the price don't either, so I wouldn't expect Avatar to.

9. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    As far as the quality goes, just about every single cab that I've ever owned feels much more solid than these. The feel like they're mass produced and like they won't stand up to a lot of abuse. And, the grills are plastic, not metal. The plastic corners also feel a bit flimsy, not exactly the most tank-like cabs I've seen.

I also asked about the specs not being published. He said that he wound up wasting so much time arguing with self proclaimed speaker experts about actual performance, how he could get 2 more hz on the low end, etc..., that he just stopped putting them up. When I asked him about the 212, he didn't even know exactly how low it went and, in a weird sort of way, I kind of like that design model -- build 'em so they sound good to your ears.

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    That's too bad.
    Which manufacturers actually responded to you with specs? Why don't they publish them?

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Spec's are highly over rated. The issue is in the way that various companies do their spec'ing. Depending on how you test you can really skew the numbers in your favor. Every manufacturer knows this and so it's a no win situation, even for them. If they publish and the spec is favorable, they'll get slammed 'cause their test method wasn't valid. If they use an exacting test, then their spec'slook like crap... My fav cab's of the past couple of years have been from Bag End. They publish their specs and on paper they look feeble at best. ... and that has no bearing on how they actually sound when you light 'em up in a band context.

The ONLY test is getting a cab on the bandstand and hearing it perform. Everything else is a crap shoot...

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    So all the pro sound guys are wrong?

I don't think Avatar really needs to publish for their price. Their technology, construction and drivers are the same as others selling for 4x the price. It would be nice though.

13. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i own one, and uh. yea, the grill is totally metal.

and uh, yea, its built like a freaking tank.

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

You won't regret purchasing Avatar cabs.

15. Paying attention to specs on a low-cost cab is like nitpicking over horsepower between a Kia and a Hyundai. If you're not paying top dollar for it, why should it matter? Does it sound good?
    Can anybody here actually tell me that they can hear the difference between a cab that plays 55hz @ -3dB, and one that plays 49hz @ -3dB? Or one with a sensitivity of 99dB and another at 103dB? That stuff is only for people who either get paid to know it, or people that obsess over minutae.:D
    C7

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    We'd all have friends that could and we'd buy them beers.

17. In that case, friend, I can tell the difference.:D
    C7

18. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    That's interesting. Is yours a neo? I just checked the website and it says metal grill, mine's definitely not metal. Wonder what's up with that?

19. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    For some strange reason, this thread feels incomplete without Burdizzos commenting and Isaac42 telling him he's wrong. :D

20. These things are tough. I haul mine around in a soccer-mom's vehicle (mini-van) and when I opened the rear door the cab fell out, flipped over and landed on its top-side. Not a mark on it, no damage. Considering that its almost 100 pounds, that's pretty good.

Everyone I come across loves the sound of my 410.

- Andrew