1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice on Bass-kits and making your own bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jonathan w, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Jonathan w

Jonathan w

Jul 29, 2006
    I have a epi thunderbird but I need a cheaper bass that I can just leave at school without worrying about it getting stolen, however, I already have 4 guitars so my parents arnt going to let me get another one. So I thought I would just trick them to letting me get one by buyin a build your own bass guitar kit saying it would be a good learning experience.

I need advice on the following kits please:

"]http://www.themusicking.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Pbasskitt&cat=57"]

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_bass_guitar_kit.htm

Any other kits you know of would be agreat help p.s I live in the UK

2. evelyncarnate

evelyncarnate

Nov 13, 2006
    London, UK
    That does look like fun, but I can imagine it might sound like SH*T to be honest.
    Try Sound Control, a friend of mine is the bass guy in the Oxford Street branch and when I went down a few days ago he showed me their own-brand Legacy basses. You can get a sweet-looking P-bass copy for around £65. That's the same price as the kits you're looking and and they play pretty good as well, and better than the money would suggest. I think that's 65 with all the case, leads, strap, practise amp, so why not see if they'd cut you a deal on just the bass?
    Word on the street is they only cost the store £7 each to buy in - how the hell do they do it?
    Good luck
    Sarah x

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Why not just buy an SX (or a Jim Deacon in your neck of the woods)? They're cheap, already put together and will sound 100 times better than any kit bass.