advice on best "teach yourself course"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bennyblu, Mar 15, 2010.

1. bennyblu

bennyblu

Mar 2, 2009
    I am a musician (guitar / piano) wanting to take the bass seriously.

I am looking at the "Teach myself bass guitar" dvd collection featuring Roy Vogt Barrow as featured in the below link:

http://www.bass-guitarlessons.com/?gclid=CMXCxb7Su6ACFcUB4wodEEYZTQ

I want to learn slap and pop and basically as many diverse styles and techniques as possible.

I am not afarid to teach myself and it would be a lot easier re my current work schedule.

I am aiming for grade 5 rock school grade (uk) by dec 10.

I just feel I need some real structure and direction to my learning.

What do people think of this dvd collection and what advice do people have?

Thanks

2. You probably have enough music theory under your belt to pick up bass quickly. Playing accompaniment it's chord tones from the chord progression the rest of the band is using. Standard notation bass clef by rote or lead sheet/fake chord for the chords and how you play them is pretty well left up to you, i.e. you decide what bass line to use. http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vi...d3e7688e4f6fc2cd04a3d3e7688e4f6-1405432824686 Playing chord tones, R-3-5-b7 or R-3-5-3 then deciding if the specific song needs just a bunch of roots, or R-5's or does it warrant full chord tones. The groove and or beat is the important thing.

So you need to know how to sound the strings, how to mute strings - yes the bass will sustain the sound so muting is important, where the notes are on your new instrument and you need to be able to run your scales. Gotta do your scales. Most everyone starts with www.studybass.com I think a quick look at what is in those lessons along with what you already know should give you a pretty good idea what else you need more help with.

Good luck.

3. Hey there, I am currently working my way through the Teach Me Bass Guitar Series and am really enjoying it. I have also been blogging about my experience with the course, you can check it out at www.bassramblings.com . I am about to start lesson 6 and can say that the course has been very worthwhile for me so far. Good luck to you!

4. The best advice I can give you is this: dont.

:prepares flameshield:

:flameshield engaged:

5. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Ooops! That's called "Teach Me Bass Guitar" and I'm Roy Vogt, not Roy Vogt Barrow (not to be confused with Frank Zappa bassist Arthur Barrow). Got no clue how that got posted in a review, but here's the website:
    www.teachmebassguitar.com
    Thanks for your interest-here's another thread on TB about it:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628153&highlight=roy+vogt+teach
    PM me if you have any questions. Thanks :)

6. bennyblu

bennyblu

Mar 2, 2009
    Thanks for all the posts - I have ordered it and I am looking forward to starting it. Cheers for the post Roy, I'm sure i will be in touch. Thanks for the "bass ramblings" blog Stanton-really helpful.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021