Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on Budget Stenbergers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marc s, Aug 29, 2000.

1. marc s

marc s

Aug 29, 2000
    I have an old Steinberger carbon graphite which is excellent. I am after a reserve bass, which I can grab mid-set, should a string go and notice that Steinberger are selling 'Spirit' basses. I realise that these are more 'budget' basses, but even so, the specs seem very good value for money, especially here in the UK. It seems like a good idea for a cost effective second bass.

Does anyone have experience with these instruments (particularly the XZ-25 Standard Bass - 5 string)? I realise they won't be up to the Carbon Graphite that I have, but they do feature the Steinberger tuning system, passive EMGs, an ash body and maple neck - shipped to the UK for £268 ($392) its a bargain.

Can anyone help?

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Since you are already familiar with Steinbergers and the diferences with the Sprit model....I'll just say that yes, they ARE excellent basses and a good deal for the money.
    Some people even like the "wood" sound better....:)

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Don't know anything about these basses, but I would be wary about getting anything shipped from the US to the UK. I have heard quite a few horror stories about getting large anmounts of customs duty and VAT slapped on at the point of entry and of items being held up and delayed for long periods in customs. You could be lucky, but on the other hand you might actually get a better bass for less money than you end up paying overall, in a shop in the UK, and have the added bonus of being able to try first and to have some degree of after-sales customer service.

If it was that easy why aren't all the cheap shops in the West End of London doing this? I suspect that after the extras are included, these things would be no cheaper than any basses currently on ths market and it is therefore uneconomic.

4. Bruce Lindfield

PS - I would guess that a Steinberger bass would look very suspicious as a package, to the customs. Sort of like a large rifle, which would actualy be illegal to import and they might hold it up for a long time because of this.

5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    MusicYo is owned by Gibson and is their internet site for direct sales. Try contacting them first, to discuss any shipping concerns.

6. Bruce Lindfield

But once they have posted the thing it is no longer their concern and anyway they have no jurisdiction over any country's Customs and Excise units. I suspect that they will just take the money and assure you that there will be no problems and if there are, they will say that this is "out of their control"!

7. marc s

marc s

Aug 29, 2000
    Thanks guys - this is actually from MusicYo.com and comes from their warehouse in the Netherlands, rather than the US. I would agree, Bruce if it had to be shipped from the US there are all sorts of problems - I shipped an exhaust system from California and ended up paying all sorts of extra taxes. VAT in the UK is 17.5%, and coincidentally is the same in the Netherlands, so I assume if its taken off in the Netherlands it won't be added in the UK. Even so with an additional 17.5% it would still be a good deal, I think.

I'm just trying to ascertain the quality of the instrument as a backup for 'live'. I like my carbon-graphite because of the tuning etc, so its pretty tempting.

8. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I recently bought a fretless Spirit 5-string as a backup, and I really like it a lot. It sounds much better than I thought it would and is certainly convenient to haul around. They advertise that it only needs to be tuned once, but I've found that this isn't true. That really doesn't matter to me, anyway; tuning is no big tuna... I was having problems with the balance, though, so I added a little metal extension to the top bout which put the strap button farther away from the bridge. It is no longer neck-heavy now, and is very comfortable to play.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I used to have a MusicYo Steinberger and I had no gripes about it. I might even get another one to match my fretless XL-2.

How's the fretless Spirit?

Will C.:cool:

10. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    The fretless is cool. The rosewood board sounds nice. I've had problems getting flatwounds for it, though. I recently ordered the adapter that allows you to use regular strings, but haven't gotten it yet.