Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on buying a cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slovenly, Jul 24, 2005.

1. slovenly

slovenly

Jul 16, 2005
    I have a 50 watt tube amp (Traynor YBA-1 if youre curious), I was wondering what type of cabinet would work well with that; how should the power handling of the speaker compare to what the amp can put out? Would I be better off buying a one or two speaker cabinet?

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    One cab that matches the impeadence is probably all you need. Contrary to popular belief tube watts aren't magically different or more powerful than solid state wats. So a cab that can handle 50 or more watts will be adequate.

I would get a cab with good sensitivity to make the most of those watts volume wise.

3. slovenly

slovenly

Jul 16, 2005
    Thanks for the feedback. I was under the impression that a watt is a watt, it's just a combination of our own hearing and the mechanism of a tube amplifier that makes it seem louder.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Tubes amps seem louder because they can usually use much more of their total power and still sound "good". So in actuallity they are usually "louder" than an identically rated SS amp.

This topic has been covered at length in other posts. Short version: a watt is a watt, be it tube or solid state. All amps clip when they get near their operating limit. Tube amps sound good when they clip, solid state amps don't. So a 500 watt SS amp might only yeild 300 watts of "good" sounding power while a 100 watt tube amp can pushed to 100 watts or more and still sound nice.

That was actually the short, short version.

My other personal theory regarding tube amps is that tube fans, especially guitarists, tend to run their amps flat out almost all the time because they want the hard working tube tone (that is, generally, why they bought a tube amp in the first place). This has lead to a perception that all tube amps are louder because most of the time when you encounter a tube amp it is dialed to 11. Especially if it says "Marshal" or "Mesa" on it. I think they just glue the Master knobs there at the factory...