1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice on buying a P/J bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stephenb923, Oct 2, 2016.

1. stephenb923

stephenb923 Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2014
    New York
    I'm looking for a little guidance from you cats out there. Right now I play a 2001 Fender American deluxe active jazz bass. I love the bass and am looking for another bass maybe with some more tonal options. I'm looking for something with similar specs (4 string, 1.5 nut width, rosewood fretboard, active, fairly light 8-9lbs, P/J configuration). I've owned and played some passive basses and I think I am more active bass guy as I like the midrange punch and well roundedness of the fender jazz I have. Just wondering which basses/what route you guys think I can go in getting a bass similar or close to what i'm looking for. I'm exploring options of getting an active P/J built by Lakland, but am open to other options as well. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    So you are looking for something different but has pretty much the same specifications?

3. stephenb923

stephenb923 Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2014
    New York
    Yeah, pretty much. I really like the jazz I have now, but would like to have some more tonal options and a 2nd bass for gigging and recording. I had a 78 fender P bass that was modded with a jazz pick up and active electronics... sounded great, but it was around 11 lbs though and not so great for long gigs.

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Sounds like you're looking for a Reggie Hamilton signature Jazz bass to me. :thumbsup:

7138027_800.

5. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    My advice is to buy a Lull PJ. I did and haven't looked at another bass in 4 years. It's not a PJ but I played a Lakland for 8 years before that (still play it) so either of those makes would be high on my recommendation list.

6. justbass57

justbass57 Supporting Member

A Sadowsky Metro HPJ fits most of your requirements, but the weight may not qualify.
    B.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Maybe look up some reviews of Hammersmith basses. Perhaps @JimmyM will swing by with his own thoughts. They are making me a 5 string and Jimmy seems quite happy with his 4 (also a PJ if I recall) with Geezers installed I think.

JimmyM and pjbassist like this.
  8. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    If you don't mind the 80s vibe, Peavey RJ-IVs are P/J, active, light, and neck through with a bunch of EQ options. I think some have ebony fretboards instead of rosewood though - seems to depend on the color and finish although I haven't seen enough of them to know for sure. The one I've got is very punchy and plays super fast and comfortable.

[​IMG]

9. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that the Lakland PJs are passive by default. If you are talking about a Skyline, you'd have to add a preamp after. If you having a US model custom built, then get whatever you want.

If memory serves, I believe just a few years ago Fender did a Precision Deluxe that had an active preamp on a PJ config. Decent colors. too. Also from a few years back were the Yamaha BB 614 and 615 series basses that had an active preamp in them. I think there is a model of the Ibanez Talman that has an active preamp, and I think they have an SR PJ with Nordy pickups in them and a preamp. Ibanez doesn't look or feel anything like a Fender though.

10. Have you look to the American standard Jaguar. P/J config. Passive/active
    Jazz neck.