1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice on buying a plywood DB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by yousaiditman, Nov 1, 2013.

1. yousaiditman

yousaiditman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2011
    SoCal
    Endorsing Artist: (DNA) David Nordschow Amplification
    I'm looking to get back into an upright bass, and wanted to ask the DB experts on this forum for purchasing advice.

I owned a 100+ year old Italian carved 3/4 about 20 years ago and had issues with cracking, etc, both with trans to gigs and changes in temp. I eventually sold it after 3 years, kinda wish I kept it in hindsight, and continued with electric bass.

Rather than buy another carved, I'd like to get a plywood with a good PU system. I'm open to both new and used.

NOTE: I am not a Jazz or Classical player. My interests are mostly Alt Rock and Experimental and may try some slap rockabilly.

Thanks in advance for any replies to this post.

2. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    Not an expert by any stretch, but very happy with my Upton ply and Fishman Full Circle pickup. If money isn't an issue, the New Standard Cleveland is very well regarded and might be the top of the plywood food chain.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  4. yousaiditman

Jan 23, 2011
    SoCal
    Yeah.. I got some major GAS for a Blast Cult bass. Kind of on the outer edge of my budget at 4k, but I've read their stuff is sick.

5. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Check out a KC Strings plywood bass. they will do you right.

6. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I've used my BC 145 on a couple gigs now (southern rock) and it has totally changed the game for me as far as playing upright in a loud live setting. I had to change the strings and have a set up done (it came set up for slapping) but now it just kills.

photo12_zpsd412df6f.

7. yousaiditman

Jan 23, 2011
    SoCal
    Oh man that is a sweet bass. I live in SoCal, so I need to take a trip to BC for sure.

8. yousaiditman

Jan 23, 2011
    SoCal
    After a lot of research I took the plunge yesterday and ordered a Blastcult 145. I live in SoCal, so I was able to go there in person and try out the basses.

It's going to take 2-3 months for them to build my bass because they are buried in orders. Will update this thread with pics and comments when I get it.

9. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Congrats! And don't forget the pics! ;)

10. yousaiditman

Jan 23, 2011
    SoCal
    Finally got my Blast Cult 145 this past week. I scored on one of Jason's latest creations... a 145 Black "Barn Find". This bass plays incredibly well. It's hard to show all the tones in this custom distressed finish, using my ipad camera, but it has to be one of his best basses yet IMO.

14208310083_e870f03629_h.

Last edited: May 15, 2014