Advice on buying a Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bright Midnight, Mar 22, 2011.

1. I'm looking to buy a Rickenbacker secondhand but I could use some advice. There are several Rickenbacker 4003/4001’s up for sale in Belgium secondhand, as well as in other western European countries. The prices even secondhand are quite expensive and I can’t get myself to spend 1600 to 1700 euro for a secondhand bass guitar, not even a Rick. There’s even a guy selling a 4001 without all the original parts and she’s going for no less than 1500 euro.
    So the way to get my hands on a Rick seems to go American secondhand. I’ve bought instruments before from America and never had a problem, all things went smooth and were as advertised, but were mainly synths and sequencers. My main worry is customs. Anyone out here ever bought a bass from America while living in Europe? And how did you get it through customs without paying half of what you paid for the instrument?
    Also, what can I expect to get when I am willing to spend 1100 to 1200 dollars + shipping?

Grtz

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021