1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

advice on buying a (warwick) bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by appelsauce, Sep 30, 2009.

1. appelsauce

appelsauce

Nov 23, 2008
    hi,

I found a second hand warwick corvette std fot just 400 euro ($ 585.72)
    while at musicians friend it costs 819.49 ($1,199.99)
    it has been for sale since 2006.

As a beginner i have no idea what i should check, investigate or
    test. And i don't want to end up with a crummy bass wich starts
    falling apart after 2 months (like my previous bass)

so, any tips?

14516904-warwick-corvette-standard.

2. first, one is ash, one is bubinga. bubinga is ballsy and low, ash is clear and bright. with Warwick, you will hear that sound difference. you will. end of. play both. I prefer the cheaper ash model myself, I know a lot who'd love a bubinga one. sound is sound, but listen, that one difference is vast.

3. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    i LOVE my ash 'wick, but the bubinga sounds way different. with the neck pup blown and the treble cut you can get a nice vintage precision tone. IMO.

4. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    Also, the bubinga is the dark brown colored and twice as heavy one. That one also has active puckups, while the Ash has passive. Personally, I chose the Ash.

I would say go for this..because that price is a good deal IMO.

5. Check if electronics work (no static or cut-outs, jiggle/move/push/pull everything while playing), check neck for odd twists (look at carefully in all directions), check for loose/stripped screws, check for dead spots/buzzing - PLAY EVERY NOTE IN EVERY POSITION. Generally, with a Warwick, you should be safe. Most of these items can be fixed easily (Warwicks are very adjustable), but they can help you reduce the price (neck twists are difficult, if not impossible, to fix).

6. I'm thinking of getting a Warwick myself (5 string), but I am totally confused by the HUGE range of basses they make - priced in the UK from GBP300 - GBP 3,000, that's around USD 475.00 - USD4750.00 - one vendor has over 50 different models listed!!. Is there a Warwick fan out there who's written an overview of the range(s) they do?. It seems like there's a particular model and there are 5 different Pup/pre options for each one and almost as many wood/stain/neck fixings as well.

7. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    I bought my old warwick in 98. What I can tell you is that they are wonderful instruments but some seem to dry out depending on humidity and how often they were "waxed". Usually within 10 seconds of playing you can tell if one is "dead" or not. Other than that just check for the usual stuff when buying a used bass...... seperation of fretboard and neck near first fret, any cracking near neck joint, fret condition, condition of electronics etc. Warwicks are known for needing input jack replacement so dont let that bother you.

8. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    1. Plug in the instrument and test it with YOUR gear. Basses can sound very different through different equipment or with crazy EQ jobs.

2. Make sure the instrument is playable for your style of music.

3. Play the instrument sitting and standing with a strap and make sure its comfortable.

4. Check the knobs for crackling or being too loose.

5. Check the neck joint to make sure its solid and straight. At the same time check the bow (curve) of the neck to make sure its not totally out of whack.

6. Check the tuning pegs to make sure they turn smoothly and don't wobble in the socket.

7. On active instruments you may want to check the electronics cavity; especially if the bass is "custom" in any way.

8. Play every note on every string up and down the neck to make sure their are no dead spots.

9. Check to see if the instrument came with any special tools or equipment (for instance my Pedulla came with a proprietary truss rod wrench.)

10. Don't impluse buy. Do your home work and don't buy anything just because someone else told you it was awesome.