Advice on buying bass stack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hugo Schultz, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Hugo Schultz

Hugo Schultz

Jan 12, 2022
    Emmen
    I've had the roland cube-100 bass for a while and it did fine for practrise, rehearsals and smaller venues. But I really want something with more power so i've been looking at a few cab + heads but I can't decide which one to buy.
    I mostly play jazz, funk, groove etc and like a supple sound but with some punch.
    I am however on quite a tight budget, the most i am able to spend is around the 400-450 range.
    The options I have so far are either a Warwick Gnome i Pro as a head with a Warwick 1x12 celestion lightweight cab. And a hartke vx410 cab with a Hartke HA2500. (Found second hand for 350 bucks.)
    Anybody got some advice?

InhumanResource likes this.
  2. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    For the money Hartke is a good deal.

3. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Dont know how long you've been playing bass.. but just so you know.. this is just the beginning.. I letting you know you'll never going be satisfied. The GASS is going to hound you into buying a bigger and more powerfull bass amps. It will finally end when you get too old to carry the stuff. Then you will be back to where you started, probably with a small combo or a lightweight Class D rig. Only then you will find piece my young Padwan. ;)
    Just another tip from your old uncle Dbase. ;)

Eruso, Jim Kernan, ryan pate and 14 others like this.
  4. Hugo Schultz

Hugo Schultz

Jan 12, 2022
    Emmen
    Haha! thank you! Definitely can’t be more true. I’m still 16 so I’ve got plenty time to explore the low end :)

5. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    $350 for Hartke rig is a good idea. Going used is best for your budget too. If you don't know what you want and can't try out much of anything, new is a not a good move for someone in your position.

Also, it's not a stack, it's a "rig". ;). Leave that stack nonsense to the guitar players. No offense to any guitar players! :bassist:

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass! You're young. So you should be able to get a screaming deal on something heavy, being that lightweight rigs are all the rage.

7. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    This will not cut it for gigs. The used 410 you're looking at will.

8. Hugo Schultz

Hugo Schultz

Jan 12, 2022
    Emmen
    Thanks for the advice! will def get the 410!

TN WOODMAN, eriky4003 and Gearhead17 like this.
  9. Hugo Schultz

Hugo Schultz

Jan 12, 2022
    Emmen
    Thanks for the tip!

eriky4003 likes this.
  10. Hugo Schultz

Hugo Schultz

Jan 12, 2022
    Emmen
    Haha understood! In that case i’ll get the hartke rig. Thanks for the help!

TN WOODMAN and Thundar like this.
  11. Hugo Schultz

Hugo Schultz

Jan 12, 2022
    Emmen
    Thanks for all the helpful and kind replies, i’ve decided on the hartke rig, I appreciate the help!

12. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    I couldn't imagine going back in time, talking to my 16 year old self, and telling him (me) how much gear I could expect to own through the years.

OP... good luck on your journey and welcome to TB

13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Inactive

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Neither. I'd comb the local Craigslists for older used Peavy gear. It's indestructible and inexpensive.

14. Lots of creative opportunities for a young bass player today. Write some songs and have fun.

Hugo Schultz likes this.
  15. Hugo Schultz

Hugo Schultz

Jan 12, 2022
    Emmen
    Sadly the hartke was the only promising thing in my price range I was able to find so far, but I think I’ll keep looking for a while

Gearhead17 likes this.
  16. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    +1 on finding old Peavey gear on Craigslist.

There's scads of it available and yes, it's tough as nails and usually inexpensive. Personally, I'd rather buy from a local owner advertising on Craigslist than a pawn shop.

Don't be afraid to mix & match brand of heads and cabs when you're buying used. You're looking for that balance of 1) finding a great brand, 2) good price and 3) it being in nice shape. Sometimes you might only get 2 out of 3.

My personal advice:

1) Try to go with a head/cabinet instead of a combo. The flexibility of swapping out heads and cabs is really convenient, not to mention easier to transport.

2) It will save you money down the road if you buy slightly more firepower than you need or can afford. You'll never regret having more wattage or a cab that can handle more power. It will be better on your bank account in the long run. Plus, no one at your age has ever been known to say, "Man, my rig is too big!" :cool:

17. The 4 x 10 cabinet is a good way to go. Not as light or easy to move as a small one but just put a set of castors on it. They are reasonably priced and lots for sale.
    I always use one but have a second if I need it

Hugo Schultz likes this.
  18. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

I played a Hartke VX410 with a VX215 for many years, and I still have the VX 215 cab...that was a great stack! For the money, you are on the right track. All the Peavey suggestions are great too. Although the Hartke VX line is/was their cheapest cabs, and prone to being easily blown, they were also Hartke's lightest weight cabs at the time. I still rock that 2x15 cab, and at 70 lbs, its pretty easy to transport for a 2 x15. If you get the Hartke rig, be on the lookout for a matching VX410 cab on the cheap...if you find one that is not blown, you will have a stack that will rattle the Marshall stack crowd.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
    Hugo Schultz likes this.
  19. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    RougHouse
    Will you always DI to a PA? If not a single 1x12 may not cut it. Do you have to compete with guitarists? A drummer? These are things we need to know.

Hugo Schultz likes this.
  20. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    RougHouse
    And heavy!