advice on cab for ampeg svt3 pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leafthrob, Apr 20, 2005.

1. I'm new to amps and not much of a gear head, but, I will be acquiring an ampeg SVT3 PRO and, well I'm gonna need to hook it up to something. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced cab, or rather the specs for a cab that will accomodate for maximum volume from the head? My style of playing involves the use of distortion pedals (big muffs) and I also use a frostwave filter, mainly for it's osclators, so the frequency range is quite broad. It would also need to be relatively easy to lugg around (ie I'm thinking of a 4 X 10").

Also, the head has two 1/4 speaker output jacks (parallel). Is it possible to connect a cab to each of these two o/p's at the same time (told you I was new to this). Am I correct in assuming that the cabs would need to have a minimum impedance of 8 Ohms each?

Some specs for the head include 450 Watts RMS at 4 ohm and 275 Watts at 8 Ohms. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well, it depends on if you want one cabs or two when you decide if you want an 8ohm or 4ohm cab.

If you get a 4ohm cab, your stuck with it, and you cant add any more cabs. With this in mind... I highly suggest getting a pair of 8ohm cabs, because if you get stuck in a situation where you need major volume, you're really gonna wanna have as much volume as you can, and speaker surface has a lot to do with volume.... even moreso than power.

Those cabs are very cheap, but are VERY good quality. To a search for them on the forums, and you'll find a massive amount of people who use Avatar bass cabs.

For the maximum volume, I'd recommend the B212 and the B410Pro, both in 8ohms.... however, it depends on if you want 2 full-sized cabs, or if you even want two cabs at all. If you just want a single 4ohm cab... definately get the B212, because its the most balanced cab of the bunch.

Good luck. :)
  3. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    With a great amp like this you don;t want to scrimp on teh speakers. You are right about a 4x10". I was using my SVT3 with a Marshall 4x1-" bass system cab and it sounded sweet :)

I had to downsize so I got an Eden 2x10" which sounds great.

Yes, so long as the load is at least 4 ohm. For example if you hooekd it up to a pair of 4 ohm cabs, the resistance would eb 2 ohms...and your Ampeg would turn into a hot iron!

Using a pair of 8 ohm cabs cabs will produce a 4 ohm load -or

Using an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm will produce about a 6 ohm load. This is my fav as I have the louder (more efficient) 4 ohm behind me and the not as loud 8 ohm on the other side of the stage.

My favorite pair config is one 4x10" and one 1x15". For space reasons, I went to a pair of 4x10"s.
  4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    All correct. If you connect two 8-ohm cabs, the head will see a total load of 8X8 / 8+8, or 64/16, or 4 ohms. Safe load, and will get the full 450W from the head.

I'm not sure what your cab budget is, but I use my SVT 3Pro with a single (4-ohm) Schroeder 21012...... :D :D :D :D :hyper:
  5. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    John, if you're doing this with the 3Pro's parallel outputs, you need to stop immediately.

The combination of an 8-ohm and 4-ohm cab, by the same calculation in my post above, will give 8x4 / 8+4, or 32/12, or 2.66 ohms.

The SVT 3Pro cannot handle a load this low, and using it in this way will likely shorten it's life..... dramatically.
  6. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah I was gonna say.... never heard of a 6ohm configuration...

Back to the topic... I forgot about Schroeder! A Schroeder cab would basically solve all your problems with one cab. Even a Small Box Schroeder would be immensely loud. Just depends on your pricerange.
  7. Yep. An 8 ohm and a 4 ohm cab runs 2.66 ohms. Don't do this with the SVT-3.
  8. thanks a bunch for your insights so far. Again exposing my daftness on the issue... I'm thinking of going for a cab rated at 500WRMS. As the Amp outputs 450WRMS at 4ohm would the the combination work well? Or do I need to find an exact match (ie a 450 W speaker cab, which I have not seen b4).

If I were to go for a 1000W cab, such as the AVATAR B212, would there be too little power from the amp to drive the speakers? Or could it be a case of getting max. volume from the amp with heaps of room to spare without damaging the speakers, or head for that matter?

I doubt that the head will be driven at max output often, if ever but should that be the case, could it be dangerous to the amp or speakers?

I'm basically going on the road for 8 weeks, and really soon. I'm only looking for something to hold out for the 8 weeks b4 I upgrade to something delish.
  9. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    No, no danger. This is an oversimplification, but that "cab rating" is simply a gauge of what the cab can *handle*...... not a suggestion of what you must use to feed it. A 1000W Avatar paired with a 275/450W SVT 3Pro can work together just fine.

The B212 is a terrific cab for the money. However, here's your dilemma: If you buy a B212 in an 8-ohm flavor, so that you can add a second cab later, that 3Pro will probably seem underpowered (kicks the output down to 275W, and it's often considered insufficient with 8-ohm loads or less efficient cabs). But if you buy a 4-ohm B212, you won't be able to add a parallel cab later and run them together safely with that head.

What type of shows are you doing in the 8 weeks? Rock? Acoustic? Big rooms? Small?