Advice on cabinet cannibalization, please...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tZer, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Bass gang;

I have some extra equipment around and I think I am wasting it. What I have is one 1x15 ho-made cab. loaded with a Peavey Black Widow that seems to be in very good condition. I use the 1x15 for small practice sessions and home-time jamming.

I also have a Sunn 610 (with, you guessed it, 6 10's) one of which sounds blown. So, technically I guess it is a 510...

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions about cannibalizing these cabs and turning them into something more useful - like keeping the 1x15 but building a 4x10 out of the remaining Sunn 10s and using them in a stack?

I don't know a ton about impedence, ohms, etc... but I will be consulting friends who understand that sort of thing before I dig in...

Any feedback is appreciated!
  2. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I find from personal experience that blindly putting speakers into cabinets are usually hit or miss. Some combinations work ok, some don't. But without proper cabinet planning and calculations for the speakers used your enclosure again could be hit or miss. IMO more so leaning on the side of "miss."

But don't be afraid to try things though experimentation can be fun (but maybe irreversible).