Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Feb 7, 2005.

1. I need some advice people:
    At the moment I'm trying to decide between a Hartke 810XL cab or and Ampeg 810E. Any Input? If I get the hartke Ill be running a gallien krueger 1001rbII on top and if i get the ampeg ill be getting a ampeg head (not sure yet, deciding between a SVT Classic, Svt4PRO and a SVT-II PRO...). Moneys not really an issue, so i dont want to hear how the hartke is cheaper, I just wanna know which people think sounds better or if anyone has any advice they can give me.

2. Add two body building roadies to the list.

3. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Ampeg.

That is all.

4. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Ditto.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    No contest here. Ampeg wins by a knockout.

6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Out of curiosity why would you power a Hartke 810 with a GK 1001RB-II? Why not just get the GK 810SBX? It's prolly a much better cabinet.

7. These answers would be better qualified if we knew what kind of sound you were going for.

That said, I'll most likely answer Ampeg unless you say 'thin'.

8. Well i mostly play thrice/thursday/glassjaw kinda stuff

9. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    My vote is for Ampeg. It's the standard cab for that style.

10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    If the SWR is not part of the equasion, then hands down Ampeg :meh:

11. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Yeah - what he said. If you go 1001 RB-II, get the GK 810.
    That being said, I'd go Ampeg for the music you look to be playing.
    Just make sure you go all-tube... If your rig of doom is going to be heavy (810), might as well make it HEAVY by adding the full tube complement:SVT - 2 Pro or vintage SVT!! :bassist:

12. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'd concur with my associate Mr. jja412 in saying the Ampeg would be your best bet... but I don't think the GK would be a horrible alternative. I love mine....

13. lefty

lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    ampeg svt classic fo` sure

14. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    The GK is an excellent alternative...

It's on my long term GAS list, and is number 3 on my solid state list... (yes - I have a solid state and all tube list, in order of preference - a total of twenty amps. I am pathetic.)

I have played through this amp on many occasions and love the solid ballsy tone. It makes almost everything in the local GC sound good. I will own one someday soon - I believe they are about 18 lbs and they send out about 700 watts RMS. Loud rockin tone.

But get the Ampeg first. :p

15. yea dude, get the gallien-krueger 8x10sbx cabinet if not you can always get 2 4x10s

16. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I concur wholeheartedly. If 150lbs plus is not your thing, you can still get 2-4x10s. Then you can take just one to the "small" gigs.

17. Well im not a real big fan of gallien krueger cabs... I dont kno, just never suited me...

18. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Got a really good deal on a SWR Goliath II 4x10 if you are interested :hyper: SWR Goliath II

19. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    The few GK cabs I've heard have been very good IMO, especiall for the $$$. The Hartkes have never floated my boat. That's why I recommended the GK. Not to mention - Woodchuck uses them, they must be good!! :)