Advice on changing pickups/electronics on Schecter Hellraiser

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mr_flood, May 2, 2016.

1. mr_flood

mr_flood

Mar 18, 2013
    I own a Schecter Hellraiser Extreme 5 string for which I do not like the tone. I've tried changed strings, messing with the EQ, etc, still can't get what I want.

What do I want? Well, my main bass is an Ibanez SR5000 Prestige and the tone I get from that is perfect.

I rarely play a 5 string so I'm not looking to buy a new bass, what I was hoping to do was change something about the Schecter on the cheap that could make it come alive - to me it sounds flat and dull.

But I'm a complete bass mod'ing n00b so any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    Maybe try a new preamp? A Spector comes to mind right away, but perhaps consider a Bartolini, Aguilar, or Sadowsky.

At that price point I would expect the pickups to be on point. And with a string change I would say preamp is the next option.

I've got a less expensive Schecter and love it. Great basses.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021