Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on choosing between the two

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rhythm, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Fender Bassman 250/210

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ashdown Mag-C210-T-300

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Other (please specify)

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. rhythm

rhythm

Dec 4, 2005
    Hiya,

As some of you may know, I'm looking for a better bass amp, suitable for small gigs etc.

I've narrowed it down to two, the Fender Bassman 250/210, and the Ashdown Mag-C210-T-300.

Although the Fender is more expensive (and slightly less powerful), I'm leaning towards it because I've heard some stories of unreliability in the lower priced Ashdown series'. Have Ashdown remedied this problem, or does it still persist?

It goes without saying that I need reliability.

Also, has anyone got any other similar priced amps which you could suggest?

TIA

2. rhythm

rhythm

Dec 4, 2005
    I've posted on another forum, and quite a few people suggest Hartke.

The models in my price range are the VX2510 and VX3500, anyone own/has used one?

Thanks again.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd buy the Fender or the Ashdown in a heartbeat, over the Hartke.
    A friend of mine has been using a low dollar Ashdown head, and has been VERY pleased with it, and reports no reliability problems.

4. I've been using a Mag 115 Combo for the past 2 or 3 years. Previously I had used Ampeg and Trace rigs This is one of the 200 W UK built models. It does well up to 200 to 250 seats at "old folks" volume levels. If I am in a loud bar, I often run through the house. I have had no significant problems, other than with the VU meter which doesn't matter to the amp functioning. When I get some more money I'm going to step up, but I think the Mag series is a very good amp for the money and certainly better than similar priced Hartkes that I have played.