Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advice on cool bass solos to impress people

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by juanpauribe, Dec 18, 2001.

1. juanpauribe

juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    Colombia
    I need some solos or anything to impress just by myself with no guitar or anything. I already know anesthesia and fleas bass solo. any thing else? please.:cool:

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Try to learn something with a real melody or some chordal stuff. Just playing a million meaningless notes a second isn't going to impress anyone other than beginners.

Some additional good advice: don't feel as though you MUST solo to impress others. Most experienced players are plenty impressed by a good solid, grooving player that does his job well. Don't worry about non-musicians because they don't care what a bass player does as long as he looks cool. Just make them move their butts...solos won't do that, though.

3. juanpauribe

juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    Colombia
    thanks man, you touched my heart
    :)

4. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Omg....someone(Stu) did ****ing moonlight sonata on bass....good god...had a hard enough time playing that on piano let alone on a bass....thats just godly.....

5. If you want a good song to learn that will impress people I recommend you learn "Sinister Minister" by Bela Flack. This is a Victor Wooten bass line and I love playing it myself. Enjoy.
    George

6. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    jamiroquai: travelling without moving
    rhcp: all around the world
    and....

SEINFELD!

lol
    Nah, the only thing that will get u truly noticed by anyone other than beginners and ignorants would be to freestyle.....just go with the flow, and mix and match.....(also, just slap pop as fast as u can in a shop, ure guaranteed to turn some heads! U might piss off the shop clerk tho!!)

;):D

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    No, it pisses everybody off and impresses no one except those who don't know better. Trust me. :rolleyes:

8. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    like i said...pisses..er......lotsa people off!

(i am NOT guilty!)

9. is there a style playing wit ur thumb besides slapping? becuz I hate it when i go into these music stores and theres these people comin in playin bass doing the fingering style wit there thumb and people are watching them going wow omg there good when there not even playin right.

10. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    beautiful....

u can play any way u like, as long as u sound good...

;)

11. First I'd take an antidepressant, because that really shouldn't get you that angy :rolleyes::D

Second, sure there is, thats how the original Fender Bass was made to be played, thats why the fingerrest on old old old fenders are on the bottom, so you could use the down stroke of your thumb to play like strumming a geetar.

12. i dunt get angry at all actually :D i jus didnt kno bout that style but yea ur right if u play a certian way and u like it then keep doin it. sorry if i made anyone mad.

13. That stlye is often used by guitarists who play bass and play it like a classical guitar. Other than that some guys like to pluck every note with thumb and forefinger. The latter gives you some nice funky sounds but it's hard to play fast. Just play however works best for you and you should be able to work the arse of those fellas.

14. juanpauribe

juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    Colombia
    thanks guys, you really helped. anyone else?

15. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    classical thump is fun to do.. but don't start slapping all up on the bass. there is an art to this.. learn it before you piss a lot of folks off :)

16. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Impressing people is what bass is all about right?Nah i think people post threads like this too much.Nobody really cares how good you are.Once somebody gets home from a store they probably forgot you.Too many people are looking to impress rather than to improve.

17. outofstep

outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    Learn the Mario Brothers theme song.. .you can find the complete tabs somewhere... it's pretty fun to play.. later. -matt

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    it doesnt piss me off when i hear someone slap/pop out a good groove, If its good im asking the guy who did it, what he just played and get them to show me it.

what does piss me off is when they cant do it really well, have no sense of groove and just slap/pop away not making anysense to it all. Thinkin theyre Flea or someone. :rolleyes: when in fact they couldnt swing if ya hung um from a rope in a tree.

for the record i usually dont slap/pop in the stores unless im serious about buying the bass, ya gotta see what she can do ya know.

19. It seems like the big stores are filled with little boys sounding like typewriters. I wouldn't aspire to that if I were the thread starter.

20. I agree with frankencow150, don't focus on impressing people, just be the best player u can be. get all your theory down and u can just improvise and make up some awesome stuff which should impress ppl