Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on creating my own pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by disturbedbass13, Jan 10, 2005.

1. after making most of my bass from scrap, i thought it'd be fun to make my own pickup too. If you have any advice on types of wires or rods to use, please send me some. :hyper:

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

do and search and you'll find among other things that handwound pups are hand fed to a winder not handwound and that basically it's not as cheap as buying them - although early Dan electro pups were EXTREMELY crude and concocting something along those lines is quite realistic.

3. thanks both of you. i appreciate the help.

Derek

4. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
  5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

Valuable post. First I've seen of a book to wire pups.

6. you guys are all great. thanks a ton. :bassist:

7. I checked out the pickup-winding book, but they are no longer selling it...anywhere else I could find out where to find out how to accomplish this procedure?

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    That's interesting for several reasons. For starters it's advertised on their site. Nothing uncommon about a site being out of date per se' but if nothing else they should have an original available to photo copy if not something on disc that can just be printed out. Was probably not in the form of any professional publication to begin with.

Personally, I'd call them back and ask them as much. All I've ever seen were bits and pieces on wiring pups so you don't have many options I"m aware of. Outside of that, specialty bookstores that handle handle out of date publications would be a possibility. I'm guessing at some point there was something printed professionally.

9. the description is there, but it says it is no longer in publication.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I'd call and ask regardless. You have no leads and nothing to lose. Doubtful but they may direct you to another source. Always worth a call to an outfit cause you'll find out how they treat you if nothing else. There are no shortage of pickups manufacturers out there and it's in their best interest to be as responsive as they can.

11. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
  12. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Stew Mac has the book listed on their site. Maybe they have a few copies left.