1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice on Elevating my Bergantino NV610?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Poon, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Greetings guys...i know there are some technical genuises and some guys who have had some great experience in the touring and sound engineering realm here.

Can anyone see any disadvantages to elevating my Bergantino NV610? I was thinking of putting it ontop of a 8 space ata rack if it fit width wise. I've seen people like Pino Palladino do this with putting his cabs ontop of his road cases. I know some guitar guys do this as well.

I love the NV610, great cab, but it's still relatively low to the ground for my height. I'd love to get it more at my head level where it can image more effectively to my ears.

I'd like to know if there is any downside to elevating a bass cab like the way i'm proposing.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    just grab as many of your bandmates' road cases, and stack them until you can put the NV610 on its side at about head level. works like a charm.

3. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    1. Use a cab stand that elevates and puts it at about 45 degrees. But thats kind of extreme for a big cab.

2. Build yourself one of the tiltable metal cab stands like that used on the Grand Old Opry for their 410HLF they use on stage.

4. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Buy an NV215, and stick it under the NV610 :ninja:

5. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm exploring the same thing right now for my NV215.
    Luckily I'm not as tall as your are... I think.... oh well.:meh:

Anyway, I believe that just a foot would do it but the fixed caster make it difficult for say a milk crate, doesn't quite fit. I'm thinking of possibly getting some shorter table legs the short kind. and mount the screw in bracketts on th bottom. Don't know if they are flat enough though but you get the idea. Or, just a box. Here is another thought. Ever see the platform for a water bed? It's a simple construction kinda like an old style egg carton partion. You would make sorta of 'tick-tack-toe' configuration by making 1/2" slots halfway the width of each board, then slide them together. That way you could easily break it down each time an only have a small stack of wood say four pc.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    There you go! 6' Rig of Doom! :bassist::bassist::bassist:

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I bought one these Auralex things. Raises the cab up a bit, but only issue is that it is literally just barely big enough for the cab and it makes me nervous. They apparently make a slightly larger version (30% larger). I'll prob get one of those next and can still use little one for isolating my tube head from the cab if I wish.

GRAMMA-e2a984124454274ecbd71a302569b148.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    actually with the NV610 on its side, angling the cab isnt such a bad idea, especially if you're mostly stationary like myself and pino.

wow, that's the only time i'll ever be able to use my name alongside "pino's"... :rollno:

9. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    The nv cabs on top of any rack will be very easy to knock (vibrate) over. Get 2 black motorcycle tie downs and attach between the rack/cab handles on each side, cinch em down good. A decoupling pad between the 2 might make this cab sit more stable, cut down on amp vibration, and keep the top of your rack from getting scuffed up. I just checked mine, this cab would stack way better, upside down.

10. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    I've also used my Gramma pads, had to use both for stability though.

11. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Should I get a larger gramma pad then.

12. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

It would work but it KILLS me that they are asking about 100% more money for a pad that's 30% bigger! Bastards!!!

13. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I would have to say gramma pads are a rip off in any sense..

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Having used them live on many occassions, I would disagree. That said, using a GRAMMA pad does not always make things sound better. It is worth experimenting, and I find that in some gear combinations and in some rooms they make a noticeable improvement; in others no improvement; and in yet others, it doesn't sound as good when I use them. I will say, though, that if I am using a tube head that is not in a shockmount, or does not involve internal shock-absorbtion (ala Ampeg), I pretty much always use a GRAMMA pad between the head and cab.

Panacea? No. Useful tool to throw in the ole toolbox? You betcha. :D

Tom.

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 I rarely find that they result in a sound that is any different from just leaving a cab's wheels on to uncouple from the floor. However.... in those situations where you are playing on one of those hollow wooden floor 'box' stages, they do seem to 'take the boom' out somewhat. In certain situations, it's a pretty cool little tool, as Tom says.

16. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Hey Poon,

By the way, have you figured out what head you think sounds the best with your NV610? I have an SVT Classic right now that sounds pretty good, but is still a little muddy on the low end. I don't want a super hi-fi sound but solid focus and punch across the spectrum without losing warmth. I am playing straightup fingerstyle roots rock/alt country.

Back on topic, I bought an Auralex Large Grammas and have to agree with Qaudzilla, Tom and KJung. It has made a difference on most stages I've played, especially the hollow wooden stages and there are a lot of those out there. I agree with Quadzilla, It' is kind of a rip off paying another $50.00 bucks for 30%, but I think you will like it. Not a bad tool at all.

17. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    You could even go the ultra low-tech route- cut a 2x4 to the length of your cab is wide, paint it black, and use it to prop up the front of the enclosure. That way, you'll angle the cones up towards your ears (and away from your knees!) without losing the effect of stage coupling and still retaining a good degree of stability.

Joker and Pino are on to something too (there you go buddy, you're in the same sentence again!!!!) :cool:

Lonnybass

18. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    What about some Fender tilt-back legs from a Bassman cabinet? Attach to the "top" and "bottom", set the cab on its side, tilt back, and go.

19. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus

I use a piece of foam that cost me $5. Works a charm, heheh. I spose they could be handy for putting them under cabs..

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    They have lots of uses, and for @ $40, considering the 'dual density' foam approach (which I can see how it allows for futher isolation), the sturdy construction, and the clean, tidy look, I consider them a pretty good bang for the buck. Sure, it ain't $5.00, but it's not too bad, either, IMHO. :D

Tom.