Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on Explaining Something to a Professor

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Melf, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I need your help, fellow TBer's(preferably adults)

Here is the situation: I took a regular sociology class because I had to for my major(Psychology). I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with WEBCT or not, but the way this program works is it lets you take quizzes online. The professor gives us 3 chances per quiz and it is open note.

I read very, very fast. Extremely fast. I can read faster than any person I have met. I also have a great memory. Now on this quiz, the first time I went through and skimmed the chapter; I got 22/26 questions right in 22 minutes. Then I looked at my results and saw the four questions I had trouble with. The second time I went through, I remembered which 4 questions it was and spent time trying to find the answers to those 4. This time I finished with 24/26 right in 13 minutes.

Now here's the problem: I only had 2 questions wrong for the 3rd time I took it! I read all the questions at light speed, being a doofus, and then spent minimal time on the 2 remaining questions I had missed because I had looked over my notes and the book before I took it the third time. The time I spent on the last two was just considering which answer I should choose and why they had been wrong last time. I finished the 3rd time in just over 3 minutes:(

Now, the professor can look at my overall time and the time I spent per question. I checked my time and I had answered some of the questions in 5 or 4 seconds. I'm positive he's going to think that I wrote down all the correct answers to it and then plugged them back in without even reading the question! He said that if anybody in the class had "amazing" results like that he would flunk them, and I forgot about that until I finished the quiz. What do I say/how do I convince him that I'm not a cheater?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Tell him to pick out a book that you haven't read, ask him to read the first page to himself and get the gist of it, then you read it yourself after him, then have him ask you to summarize it.

3. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Good idea

4. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I sent the Professor this:

Dr. ******,
    This is Nick *******. I'm assuming that you've seen my time for the first test--if you haven't, then I took the first try in 22 minutes, the second in 13 minutes, and the third in 3 minutes. I wanted to clear this up immediately, because I remember you saying in class you would flunk anyone who cheated on this test. I would like you to understand that I am a very fast reader and I did not write down the answers for this quiz after I had taken it the first time, or the second time for that matter. If you would like a demonstration of my speed at reading I will be more than happy to provide you with one. A friend of mine suggested that you give me a page or short story(of your choice) to read and then summarize to you right after reading it. I'm sorry if I've given you cause to think that I cheated on the quiz, and I hope you find my explanation credible.
    Nick *******