Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on fainting and delayed sickness.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Toasted, May 8, 2005.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I fainted about 10 minutes ago. I did a special kind of faint called Valsalva's Manoeuvre - look it up if you want a laugh. I’m at home by myself but I think I was out for about 2 minutes. I’ve done this twice before over the last 5 years. This time, I’ve just brought all my breakfast back up – about 5 minutes after the faint. I definitely hit my head when I went down. Is this sickness normal?

2. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    It doesn't say anything about delayed vomiting. Have you been to see your Doctor?

3. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Did you hit your head pretty well? Vomiting is almost always a good sign of a concussion

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I hesitate to ask but.....

What the heck would you want to do something like that for?

Where you suffering from tachycardia?
    Where you flying a stunt plane and pulling in excess of 6 G's?
    You want to die straining on the toilet like Elvis did?

STOP DOING THAT. It ain't healthy.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Toasted, Dude, Get that checked out, Allthough fainting is a common reaction for men who see pictures of our own magnificent GIA!

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Why did you do this?, are you OK?.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

Man, give it a rest.

Glad to know you're ok, Toasted.
    Go to a doctor and have that thing checked out. Fainting (even without vomit) is not cool.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I think Im ok now. Thanks.

10. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    toasted, love ya man, but when i have a serious medical emergency, the 1st thing i can think of is to go on TalkBass too. :confused:

NOT

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'd been lying in bed for a few hours when i posted that. I was just a little creative with the narrative. My head feels fine now :)

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ah yes that was a bit creative.

next.............."I just cut my femoral artery and blood is spurting everywhere!...............Ideas?"

just keep hitting "refresh" to see if you get any replies in time........ ;)

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hehe :) Still got a headache, but i think thats pretty normal considering i cracked my head on the sink.

I went to the gym and ran for 30 mins, 30 min bike and 30 mins weights. That was fine - i must be ok :)

15. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If you're talking about doing that maneuver, sometimes refered to as a Vagal maneuver...."Cough-Version" or a couple other things...

That is a concious and deliberate medical proceedure that you don't need to be experimenting around with for a hundred different a valid reasons.

If you're talking about laying around all relaxed and calm...then jumping up to run and catch the phone.....and getting all light headed and dizzy...which can get to the pass out point....

Thats an involutary occurence.

Thats "Posteral Hypotension" sometimes refered to as 'Orthostatic Hypotension".

At.....20 years old...that probably means you're tall, thin, long torso'd in build and you need to get in the habit of sitting up and taking a couple of breaths before you leap off the couch.

What is going on in either case is that your brain is being suddenly and rapidly deprived of blood flow and oxygen to the point that it is unable to maintain normal function.

The return of blood, oxygen, normal function and conciousness can include vomiting....seizures....short term amnesia...all kinds of stuff you don't need in your life.

It's the same buzz you'll get from whippets (Laughing gas, Nitrous Oxide) and similar stuff.

You brain needs Oxygen. Oxygen=good.

If you do this voluntarily, Stop now.
    If it's not voluntary. Go to a Dr. and find out why.
    Brain cells don't grow back.

16. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I have a feeling that "Nicks Parrot" knows more about medicine then most of us, you should probobly PM him! :smug:

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It was involuntary. Believe me, i wouldnt do it for kicks. I've done it 3 times over the past 10 years (the third was this morning).

Without going into detail, it's when my aorta is cut off by my diaphragm. :)

18. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Without going into detail....
    Your aorta comes out of the top of your heart. It turns south and becomes the Abdominal or decending aorta and bifurcates into the the left and right femoral arteries. More or less.....

Your diaphragm goes more or less, across the bottom of your rib cage.

If you're skinny and long torso'd. It's kind of a normal thing to be predisposed to. It will happen to me if I'm not careful when I jump off the couch or do anything else that can generate some centrifigal force on your brain.

If the circumstances are other than that...get it looked at.

I'm sure there's a Dr. on this board somewhere looking at this exchange of internet medical advice and choaking.

You're English.....Health Care is free for you guy's isn't it?

Ah...let me retract that "Free" comment and change it to, "Included with the the enormous costs of your income taxes over there".....sorry

19. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    National Health Service is free, yes :)

20. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Did anyone else think of Philip from Shaun of the Dead here?

"You didn't call a doctor did you? I'm quite alright, I ran my hand under a cold tap!"

Although, if you absolutely refuse to go to a doctor, I do hope your concussion isn't serious and you recover quickly! And then proceed to not knock yourself out like that for at least another 10 years. Preferably longer.