1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice on fretless DIY

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rgntb, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Rgntb

Rgntb

Aug 18, 2018
    Hello everyone, I am going to replace the preamp with a john east and the humbucker with a nordy on my ray34ca. Also I would like to have a fretless but don't want to spend a lot so I was thinking that maybe I could ind some bare parts where I could install Pu and preamp in a kind of DIY way.
    Any suggestions/alternatives?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  2. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    Pickup and preaamp upgrades are pretty standard DIY projects. My Warmoth MM bass has the Nordy PU and the John East preamp. Does not sound the same as the SUB Ray4 that it replaced. I'm still not sure if that is good or bad :)

So what this about finding some bare parts, installing a PU and having a "fretless"?

3. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Pawn shop bass - $65.00
    Flush cut nips - $3.99
    Plastic Wood - $4.79
    Sand paper - $1.99

Fretless bass - $75.77

4. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I’d throw a yard stick in there, so that you can identify any high/low spots on the fingerboard, but yeah - you’ve pretty much got it covered.