Advice on fretless please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by birdsg, Dec 24, 2003.

1. birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Hi all.
    I had played bass for 15 years and then stopped for 10 due to a variety of reasons. I have started again a few months ago and bought an old Kramer second hand for £200 UK which has served the purpose of getting me back into playing.

I am now looking at spending approx £1000 uk on a new bass and am considering a peavey Cittrus or Warwick Thumb possibly.

I have never played a fretless but am seriously considering getting one. Would you guys advise buying a 'cheap' (£150 uk) fretless bass first to see how I get on and spend the £1000 on a fretted bass or should I just jump straight into fretless?

I guess I really need to go to music stores and play some fretless basses!

Thanks for any advice guys

2. Your situation is very similar to what mine was when I got my first fretless. I'd say go for the fretless. You'll have less trouble than you're expecting.
  3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Go to music stores, and play a few fretless basses.
    If you dig it buy one.
    I've play fretless for 18yrs.
    it may be for you, you won't know till you try?
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you want to play fretless, there is nothing wrong with getting a nice one to start.

My advice is to get a nice used one. That way, if you decide fretless isn't for you, you can easily sell it for what you paid, rather than taking the resale hit on a bass you paid new price for.
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'd say play as many fretlesses as you can, and if you think you'll be able to get on with it, then go for the fretless and don't look back. To buy a really cheap fretless might discourage you needlessly.

As for what to buy, consider your (relatively) local UK makers too. I live in NY, but I've bought several basses from Jon Shuker in Sheffield. He's a real custom maker at not outrageous prices.
  6. Birdsg, I would recommend that every bass player go fretless. Just start slowly, and stick with it.

It sounds and feels so good. :)

7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I somewhat agree. I play funk, so i like to slap, but i bought a fretless and really like it. I play it all the time, and only go to my fretted when i need to slap.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have two fretlii, a Lakland and a Pedulla, but I don't get to play them as often as I like. One thing that's cool about them is the level of expression that can be acheived. It's easier to put more feeling into the sound. Anyway, I just posted to have an excuse to repost this picture.

9. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    I have been fretless exclusive for many years now. I just love the feel. I don't think I could go back to fretted.
  10. This could be the answer, jim reed fretless jazz bass, hand made in italy, £230 delivered, and about as good as a MIM fender.

11. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    Were do I find this?
  12. birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Thanks for all the replies guys, you have certainly given me food for thought!!

Do any of you slap on a fretless? I get the impression that the two dont really go together from a previous thread?

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Some people say you can't, some say you can. Some don't like the sound. Some say it tears up the fingerboard. Me? I do it whenever I feel like it AND use roundwounds AND have no wear issues. It can happen:D

There should be plenty of fretless threads here that can explain how to play yours without tearing the fingerboard up. Good luck.