1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice on fried Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 Max

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schmig, Oct 30, 2016.

1. schmig

schmig

Nov 30, 2008
    Hi all,

Before I somehow attempt to get this repaired, just want to run it past you folks.

Played 2 gigs Friday, guitarist and I smelled something during first set anytime things got a bit driven. Gig is a professional outfit so there was no way to stop it and check the amps..we assumed it was the guitar amp as guitarist was initially using wrong output to cab and worried he might have done some damage.

Anyway start of gig two, my amp blew with a loud bang / flash of light, tripped a few fuses at the venue etc. Fortunately, guitarist was carrying some sort of Crate amp which covered me for the second gig.

I've been using this amp for the bones of 6 years..just wondering would anyone have some input given images here...thanks again. 20161030_095709. 20161030_095645.

2. I've sold any gigging amp that wasn't reliable. Fix or not fix, consider replacing it. Just not worth the hassle in a pro band.

Munjibunga likes this.
  3. schmig

schmig

Nov 30, 2008
    Hiya Groove Doctor, I'm just the deputy in this particular band, but indeed, I should have a second head..

Groove Doctor likes this.
  4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    SirMjac28, pcake, Hotblack and 3 others like this.
  5. Jonathan C

Jonathan C Supporting Member

May 31, 2016
    Smithtown, NY
    PM'd for repair advice.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

PM agedhorse. He'll get it right for you.

wave rider likes this.
  7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I will PM you later today. No problem repairing your amp.

8. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    Man, when TB works, it really works. ;)

9. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    With all the cool high-powered micro amps available, it's easy to bring a backup. Never had to use it (knock on wood), but I just leave mine in the car at the gigs.

lfmn16 likes this.
  10. Was this amp new to you?
    I was wondering if it had blown a fuse before (See FH 200) and it was replaced with a higher current fuse, or a slo-blo in place of a fast-blo, rather than get the real problem fixed?

11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Me too. Better to have it and not need it than need it an not have it.

Ewo and Groove Doctor like this.
  12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Don't mess with it, that's a non-user replaceable fuse that fails only with upon a catastrophic amplifier failure to protect against fire.

Groove Doctor and SirMjac28 like this.
  13. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    The flash/bang part of the OP's description sounds like that!

14. Just Wonderin'. How did it come to be in fuse holder that allows it to be easily changed?

15. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Maybe, but no way of telling without running full diagnostics.

16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    This is the kind of thing required by safety testing agencies, perhaps (and I am speculating based on some specific knowledge on this subject) it's to allow for the use of a standard listed part with adequate breaking capacity and short circuit clearing capacity in a standard listed manner that is compatible with standard assembly methods. Anytime a part is used in a different way than it was originally intended (electrically or mechanically) it is subject to additional testing and evaluation and follow-up testing costs that follow a product from cradle to grave. Fuses tend to fall into this category depending on how they are used (in this case it is a fuse in the primary side of the product and subject to additional safety scrutiny because it is on the primary side of the safety isolation barrier.

See, there is rarely a simple answer ;)

17. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    All amplifiers run on special electric amplifier smoke. If the smoke leaks out, the amp is done....

Seriously - I hope you can get it fixed.

18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I was just getting ready to say the exact same thing :)

mikew31 and agedhorse like this.