1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice on getting rid of extra collections in the house?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Lately my family's looking to move as we're all starting to take different directions; I'm looking to move/change my job/career. My sister's living with a friend right now managing a puppy farm while school's out (art teacher).

The problem, of course, boils down to the house. It was pretty big when we got it, and over time we've filled it up. When I took up bass, that was a guitar/amp. When my grandparents passed away, we got the collection of thirty-something crackerjack dolls from forever ago. The collections of mason jars. VHS. DVD. Cables. Old video games/consoles. Tons of stuff.

We obviously don't want to throw it away, because it took money to get it. We're looking to get money to get rid of as much of it as possible.

A garage sale typically would be the order, but our neighborhood in our area is something of a ghost town. I rarely see people come out of their houses or spend times outdoors.

What avenue would you guys take? Is Ebay the way to go? Or just stick with craigslist? A town over there's a local auction as well, we're considering that. But I'm looking to help my folks out so we can all go our ways.

2. If your goal is to be rid of it - price it as low as possible (even insultingly low), just to make it move.

3. I would usually go to ebay for any collectible items, since the listing will be seen nationwide, vs CL which will only be seen locally. The person who really wants that rare collectible item probably doesn't live in your town.

The drawback is shipping, expecially if it's a bunch of small items. It may not be worth the time and effort to pack and mail something that sells for only a few dollars. You may want to list the whole collection at once in that case.

And sometimes, you just have to accept that items have little or no value to someone else (e.g. VHS).

4. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Craigslist can be a pain. People will tell you they have to have the item, blah, blah, blah, they are one thier way. You cancel your plans and they don't show up. I like the advice of getting rid of it in one sale. Or, is there a local flea market? Sell what you can in a day and give the rest away.
    It makes me think about all the things that I find so valuable when I see how little they are worth to others.

5. 50hz

50hz

May 13, 2012
    Kirtland, Ohio
    when I did this, I did a lot of pawning and donating. still took a long time, but not as long as eBay or Craigslist. felt good to purge!

6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    People like stuff, and you would be surprised how much a garage sale could make.
    Of course your not going to sell all of it, but you could make cash.

Otherwise is there any local flea markets that offer areas for rent for one day? About the same as a garage sale but you have more traffic and people with cash. Think it is often refferred to as day sellers and sometimes the spots are really cheap.

Since your not to attached to these things, it will be easy to sell them cheaply and that always makes things move.

or you could try craigslist to sell stuff, or craigslist to announce the garage sale. Again you would be surprised, as long as you have some key items to attract attention, or get hits from people doing searches. you can actually sell alot of stuff.
    maybe try antique shops that might buy some collectibles, especially ones with many dealers under one roof.

7. Sounds like it's time to call these guys:

[​IMG]

8. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    +1
    American Pickers: Talkbass Edition

9. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I just went through this.. Purple Heart got a LOT of stuff.. and I'll get a tax write off..

10. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I love the show but cringe everything they mention something music related. They say stupid stuff like "if it is an old instrument or mic it is worth money." Often they are right but then people who don't know what they are looking for start buying up everything and drive the price of even average old guitars and mics through the roof.

I know a few years ago that some investment magazine listed a particular Telefunken microphone (which most are good mics) as a great investment opportunity. The problem is people start bidding every vintage mic up. Mics that were going for only a few hundred (and only worth that) started going for 5K and they haven't really come down.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Remember, ebay costs money. Posting on ebay won't hurt, but it probably won't be the quickest or cheapest way. Your in a ghost town? What you don't have a town hall or some kind of swap meet? It is the summer time, they are everywhere. If you want it gone, you have to price it to sell as well, I hate seeing over priced stuff at garage sales.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Have someone unbiased put a value on your collections. I think my hat collection is worth several hundred bucks, but I'm sure someone not emotionally attached to them would say $100 max. OK, $50. :)

-Mike

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    How about an estate sale?

14. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Ebay is work and they take a cut. But it's the best was to get rid of stuff. Get a tripod and a decent digital camera. You might lose on some thing but you might make a killing on others. I find that it balances out.

Bass gear you're better off here.