Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advice on gibson bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by morrisonhotel12, Nov 25, 2002.

1. morrisonhotel12

morrisonhotel12

Nov 25, 2002
    I am currently interested in purchasing an Epiphone Les Paul Standard bass. It is used and only two years old. Mint condition with hard shell gibson case. The price is $375. I am looking for advice on whether or not this is a good deal or a rip off.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Stay Away !!!! You can get a used Ibanez or Fender for that price...:)

3. Thats a ripoff. you could get one new for that much.... but i've got a beaten up old eb-3 up for grabs. With a little work (re-wiring, a new nut, and a nice set up) it might make you pretty happy. The quality is probably way better on the gibson. It's all mahogany. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65110&highlight=eb3
    theres low quality pics in there

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, considering a new Epi LP bass with a warranty is $420 at MF, never the cheapest place around, I'd say that it's not a fantastic deal. I'd offer no more than $250 for the bass and case.

5. If I remember correctly, Musiciansfriend had a sale on some kind of Epi Les Paul bass about two months ago and I think they were going for $299 brand new. Check them often; they sometimes cut prices on items without warning and you can get some killer deals.

Mike J.

6. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Thats way too much for a used one.

7. morrisonhotel12

morrisonhotel12

Nov 25, 2002
    hey i took your advice and checked out musicians friend and i got a new epi lp standard for 299.99. thanks alot you saved me a load of cash

8. The chain stores were blowing out the five string Epi Les Paul basses with the flame tops for like $175 or so last year.

9. Hey, I'm glad I could help.

Now, here's a very timely example to show how important it is to check Musiciansfriend often. In September I bought one of these guitars. It had been $529 for about a year. They dropped the price a good bit. I paid $419. Now look what they're selling them for: www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=021126061208004023188164899325/search/g=home/detail/base_id/46136

They dropped the price another $120 in two months. And let me tell you, this is some guitar; looks and plays like a Tele - sounds midway between a Les Paul and a Tele. Two humbuckers that tap into single coils when you pull up the tone control. A good value at $500 - a great value at $419 - - - INSANITY AT $299 !!! :eek:

The only reason I checked M/F today was because of this thread. I will say this again: If you're looking for something (bass, guitar or whatever) and you're not 100% set on a particular brand or model, check M/F as often as you can. They routinely have mad price cuts like this. Their loss is our gain. Especially on amps. ;)

Mike J.

If anyone wants more info on the PT Elite, PM me.

10. i have an epiphone les paul bass and it's fantastic. i got it used for like $200 and i was lucky with it, because it actually sounds awesome. great tone too, but maybe that's just the way i play it? nah, but some of them really suck, but all i know is that mine is great and i would buy another one...but not at that price for a used one.

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Except the bastards don't ship overseas. I wanted to buy this Fender Tuner/Metronome - last I checked it was $35 on M/F. Over here it's £70. That's just ridiculous! But bloody M/F don't ship overseas so I can't get one cheap :mad:

12. I hear ya Moley. I wish I could do something for you guys outside the U.S. 70 lbs (sorry, I don't have the monetary character for pounds sterling) would be about $95 bucks U.S. and I agree; it is ridiculous.

Note how cleverly I altered your quote. :D

Mike J.

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    lol! If had have been *really* clever, you could have copied the '£70' from my post instead of saying 70 lbs :D

14. :D :D :D

Mike J.