Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advice on GK cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Nanny, Sep 5, 2005.

1. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Looking for advice on some GK cabs...I play mostly metal and thrash.

I'll be buying a 1001RB II, and also have a line on some used GK cabs: the 410 RBS and the 115 RBH.

Is there anything I should be aware of here?
    Is this a good combination?
    Any red flags?
    Do I have to use GK speakon cables, or will any speakon cables do?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    No red flags I know of, the new RBII series heads are rocks. The RBH line of cabs is very good as well, that should be a killer rig.

You only need the GK 4 pin speakon cable if you are using the HMS biamp feature, otherwise a normal speakon cable will work.

3. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Would it be a problem using an RBH AND an RBS a the same time? the RBS doesn't have the horn and speakon connection, therefore I'd be bi-amping the RBH through the speakon, and using a standard 1/4" cable for the RBS.

Is this possible? I don't want to damage the unit.

thanks!

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    No problem using the 1/4" speaker connection and the speakon (biamp) connection at the same time. If you download the manual from GK for the 700/1001rb-II it is clearly shows your speaker options.

When you plug in a 4 pole speakon connector, the internal tweeter amp will "see" a pathway. Using a two pole speakon connector (pretty standard) will only engage the woofer amp. (same as plugging into the 1/4" output.

5. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks very much for the help guys!

6. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    sounds like a nice rig. One thing to be aware of is that your tweeter will be on the bottom cab if you use the 15 on the bottom. Not a big deal but not ideal for hearing your highs. Or you could put the 4x10 on the bottom. Some people do that and like it. Have fun!

7. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    well, its moot with 410 RBS...I tried it and there was something wrong with the cab...I'm going to pry open the wallet, beg forgiveness of the wife, and get the 410 RBH to go with that 115RBH

thanks for the advice all!

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    That shoudl work just fine too. Before prying open anything you might want to try and check out the Neo cab lines. A neo 212 or a 112/115 would be great under that head too. Lighter, more portable, nicer looking (IMO anyway) and possibly louder because they have some really sensitive drivers combared to the other GK cabs.