1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice on GK repair

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Low Key, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Low Key

Low Key Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Hello all,

I need some advice on my GK, so I thought I would see if anyone here had a similar experience.

My GK MB 212 combo is almost 2 years old. About a week ago the tweeter started going out on me. In most cases the tweeter is off regardless of whether the tweeter toggle switch is in the “on” or “off” position. The toggle switch still engages in those two positions correctly, but it doesn’t affect the tweeter.

I realized yesterday that if I press the tweeter button all the way down and leave my thumb on it, the tweeter stays on. As soon as I release pressure on the switch, it goes off.

I have called a local service center and GK itself to discuss the matter. My speakers/box are out of warranty. My electronics are under warranty for a few more days. Here is the dilemma:

If the problem is electronics, either the service center or GK will fix for free.

If the issue is NOT an electronics issue, I am out a minimum $125 plus parts through the service center. If I ship to GK, it is $75 plus shipping and parts. That’s a heavy price for a $600 amp.

If have no way of knowing what it is. Further, if I open up the amp to look at it, I think I void the warranty. Perhaps I just need to tighten something. So I now need to take a risk and make a decision. Any advice on how to proceed?

2. Hmm, it’s most likely just a bad switch, and if the warranty expires in couple of days anyways I’d just order a new switch from GK and replace it myself. btw, and “I think” a new tweeter is only about $12. But, if you’re not comfortable repairing it or risking the warranty I’d send it to GK for repair.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  4. +1, try cleaning it