Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advice on head to power a couple of acmes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davo737, Oct 19, 2000.

1. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Hello all,

I currently looking for a head to power 2 acme low b2, II's. Actually, I'm pretty much leaning towards separate pre and power amps. I currently play an eden wt-300, and am pretty pleased with it. Thus, I am leaning towards the Navigator. However, I've never come across Kerns or Aguilars, so my experience with pre amps is limited. Not sure about the power amp, though, as I've never used them. If anyone could offer their opinions on heads powerful enough to run these cabs, or their opinions on pre/power amp set-ups, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Regards,
    Davo

2. The Navigator is a really great-sounding preamp. I just sold one (and a pair of B2s) to Jon Chewning who is a TalkBass member.

See the following threads:

On the Navigator with Acmes:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=7022

On power amps:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=6929

On why I switched from the Navigator to Kern:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=6744

Use TalkBass's search engine too, you can dig up lots of good info pretty easily.

3. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    How much power, roughly, would you say is enough to run these cabs at a fairly decent volume with an integrated head?

4. My experience using a QSC PLX-1602 was that it was just barely enough. The PLX-2402 handled them very well. I've heard reports that an Eden WT-800 was a little shy of being able to handle a pair of them adequately. So, power at 4 ohms/ch:

• PLX-2402.....700
    • PLX-1602.....500
    • WT-800.........400

So, based on my experience and stuff I've read from other Acme users, my opinion (and it's just that, an opionion), is that you need at least 400, preferably more like 500 watts per cab.

Some folks have reported great results with less power, my experience doesn't bear that out.

5. Like michaeln said, I'm now the proud owner of his pair of Acme B-2's and his Navigator. I had already decided to go with a QSC PLX 1602 but when I learned that QSC dropped the price on their PLX series I went ahead and bought the 2402. The 1602 would give you 500W per channel into 4 ohms which I think is the minimum you should have.

I personally like the separate amp/preamp combo because of the increased options I have with a setup like this. For example the WT-800 would more than likely have a problem powering a pair of Acme's because you can only bridge this sucker into 8 ohms. (my assumption. Anyone wanna weigh in here?)

I had my first gig with my rig last Friday and I was blown away with the clarity of tone I got. I don't really play at high volumes (the loudest I get is 12:00 on my Navigators master volume.) but you need that extra power for headroom and clean non-distorted sound especially if you have a B-string. So if you can afford it, I'd highly recommend a 1602 or 2402 with the Navigator.

I have gig tomorrow night that's in a larger room, so I'm really itchin' to hear what it'll sound like!

6. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Just in terms of integrated heads, I was considering WT-800 (although maybe not anymore :)), the SVT 4 pro, and the Mesa Boogie Basis M-2000. Of the three, the SVT 4 Pro has the most power, up to 900 watts per channel biamped, but I also know that Ampeg is much more liberal with their wattage ratings than other manufacturers. By the way, thanks for all the advice.

Regards,
    Davo