Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on Hofner Double Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by yesdot, Feb 11, 2005.

1. yesdot

yesdot

Mar 8, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Is this Hofner bass ply or hybrid? Forgive me, but I am confused by the description "Solid Spruce Top"...

http://www.musicianswarehouse.com.au/default.aspx?Pg=21&ProductCode=HSB0603

I know it's a lower-end student bass, but hopefully not too crap. I need an affordable/reliable ply (it will of course need a pro setup). Has ebony fingerboard, 10 day money back guarantee (not able to try in shop beforehand, so enough time for a trip to the luthier).

I found an earlier thread here mentioning that Hofner's are manufactured by Paesold in China (Also using A. Schroetter label). However the model no. doesn't match anything on the hofner website (www.hofner.com).

I don't believe these basses are widely distributed in the U.S, if at all. Advice anyone?

2. Well, I kind of found their number modelling system interesting to say the least.

But......

My Chris hybrid (in Canada) has a different model number than the exact same model when imported into the US by a different distributer. I believe the distributers are just making the numbers up according to their whims.

Sure looks the same on your link as what we've seen up here.

3. Ooops...forgot to answer your first question...that would be a hybrid model, laminated maple (though not nicely figured) sides and back, carved spruce top.

Local player here has the exact same model, and he plays a very harsh rockabilly slap style, and hasn't broken it yet. Tone is quite good.

I think you could do lots worse....

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I'm not familiar with particular bass, but in general, "solid" spruce top doesn't necessarily mean that it is a carved top. In fact, most distributers that know anything at all will label a top as "carved" if indeed it is.

There are processes out there these days of using molds to bend solid wood into shape for a bass top in the same manner you would shape laminates for a plywood top.

A carved top is actually shaped as it suggests. A much thicker piece is domed on top and bowled out on the bottom to form the finished table. Luthiers do this by land, allowing their experience and ears to shape the thickness for maximum balance between tone and structural integrity. Each piece of wood is unique and thus each top is unique.

This is a huge reason why handmade basses sound so much better.

Carved tops on factory basses are typically created by a CNC machines. The problem with this is that it shapes them all exactly the same without regard to the nature of the wood. Even still, it may be the best alternative to a handmade bass if money is an issue.

Other carved tops are done from a combination of CNC and hands-on attention.

I would do a little homework on that one. You may not be getting a carved top at all.

5. Chas

Yer right as always...

As I recall, these models do not have the extra fluting or purfling along the edges of the top which would indicate some type of machining process. I believe the tops are likely formed.

It was too early in the mornin' for me...

6. yesdot

yesdot

Mar 8, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Thanks for the input guys... I suppose a formed "solid" top is better than a ply top at any rate - for the price...

7. Hey YD

I was at a show on Friday, and the bassist was playing a new Schroetter....I had a quick look as your thread was still fresh in my mind, and I believe that it actually had a machined solid top, as it had a certain degree of purfling, and indications of variation in thickness around the f holes.

It sounded pretty good,(for bluegrass) Realistic under bridge pickup, don't know what strings, though I suspect it was whatever came with them.

Of course plywood has some advantages, resistance to changes in humidity, and damage resistance, but few new plys sound as good (to me anyway) as a comparable hybrid.
    Until you hit some of the real nice plys, anyway...Am. Standard, etc.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

There's nothing inherently bad about a ply top, especially if you play all or mostly pizzicato. They can sound VERY good. They are also quite durable and less sensitive to climate changes and such.

I wouldn't allow a "solid" wood top to drive my decision. I would go for the overall feel and tone of the bass without regard to the top. The core of either is plywood anyway.

9. yesdot

yesdot

Mar 8, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Thanks for thinking of that Devil's Creek...
    My local luthier stands by the Hofner's. He'll have one set up next week so I'll make a visit for a play, as you suggest Chasarms... to get an overall sense of the feel and tone.
    With a full setup and spiros it only works out about $45 U.S more to purchase through the luthier. I'd much rather support my local luthier than some online retail conglomerate anyhow (even though it DID have a 'three payment plan')...Thanks guys, I'm off to (gulp) ebay some stuff...

11. yesdot

yesdot

Mar 8, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Thanks for the input TenorClef. Just out of interest which strings have you tried on her? I'm looking forward to trying a fully set up one next week...

12. If you check my profile it more or less states everything i've tried with this bass. I tried Euronsonics (very nice) however you can't bow with them :crying: i've also tried Upton's budget Guts which are to rich for my bass, could'nt get any low end definition out of em and they were scratchy with the bow i thought, then i tried Thomastick's superduper 'Superflexibles' :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: Yeah great strings and my bass actually likes these strings, not high or low tension, just the right amount to work with my bass. However i would definitely think about the Eurosonics if you aint gonna use a bow, they sound so nice and feel great on the fingers. Finally bought a K&K Bass pickup the other day from Bob Gollihur, thats my set up sorted now. However it did'nt fit into the bridge wing so i just stuck into the heart in the middle of the bridge, sounds alright to me. Nice pickup, recommend it actually.

13. idave

idave idave

Jan 17, 2005
    NYC
    :bassist:

Hofner Electric Upright Bass,, Very Rare !!
    Hello, Anyone know anything about my Hofner EUB, see attached pics. I am getting ready to put this on ebay and any info would be greatly appreciated !!
    cheers

dave

Attached Files:

14. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    In the last year I have had in the shop two 4/4 examples of the Hofner models listed on the website, the H5/10-B and H5/12-BV, which correspond to the Paesold numbers 593 and 596V respectively. I've sold both examples, so this isn't a sales pitch. You can look at the specs on my website in the "Paesold" basses page under "Previous Offerings".

A hybrid sounds like one of the Paesold Schroetter models made in either China or Germany, depending on the model and year of manufacture. Although I saw examples of these in the old Sun Valley warehouse for Paesold, I've never had any of these Schroetters, so I can't tell you anything about them.

Good luck!