1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice on how to avoid hitting pickups while playing the E string.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Darqual, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Darqual

Darqual

Aug 3, 2013
    I am a fairly new bass player, i've been playing for about 2 months now. What i have noticed is that when i pluck my E-string, the string hits the pickup and makes kind of a popping noise. Do I need to changed my technique or is there another common cause to this? All Advice appreciated!!!:)

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    You could lower the pickup.

3. Darqual

Darqual

Aug 3, 2013
    Im kinda new to bass, could you tell me how?

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
  5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Also make sure you're pluck across the string, not down on top of it.

6. Darqual

Darqual

Aug 3, 2013
    Ill try both ideas!

7. If you adjust the pickup, I recommend pressing down on slightly it while you turn the screw.

8. Darqual

Darqual

Aug 3, 2013
    Ok I will, is this to prevent stripping the screws on the pickup?

9. ddhm

ddhm

Mar 18, 2011
    Memphis Tn USA
    Welcome to the low end.

It could be that you are plucking in the wrong direction if you are using your fingers and having that problem. You should be plucking across the strings (or so I've been told...works for me). Plucking towards the body could be an issue. Could also be that you are playing too hard or it might be both? If it's a pick thing, you'll probably want to lower the pick up if your "action" is correct. All of that could also be incorrect. There is just no way to know without at the very least least seeing pretty good pics. I'll change gears a bit.

Many times, instruments are not set up at the factory or have been fooled with by folks that have no idea. If you have a few bucks, I'd have the bass "set up" by a qualified technician. I believe that there is a sticky around here with a list of good techs. Guitar center is probably not the place to find a good tech. YMMV When the tech is finished, spend some time playing it at the shop and make sure it's right for you before you leave. You need to know that your technique works on the instrument.

Believe me, when you have an instrument properly set up, you'll never want to play anything any other way. That aside, a proper "set up" makes playing much easier (I believe that to be very important to a new player).

Best of luck,
    Dan

10. Darqual

Darqual

Aug 3, 2013
    Thanks Dan! Ill take this into consideration, but I am 14 so I don't really have the money to hire somebody to do this.

11. ddhm

ddhm

Mar 18, 2011
    Memphis Tn USA
    Start saving. Get a part time job. Crimaffs is coming. (hint, hint)

12. And also the screw holes in the pickup can become damaged.

13. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It's to make it physically easier for you, by pushing the pickup down to the right height, then tightening the screws to keep it in place - rather than relying on the screws alone to bring it down, along with the hard work with a screwdriver that might be required, possibly resulting in stress to your hand. :eyebrow:

MM

14. Darqual

Darqual

Aug 3, 2013
    Thanks guys, all this advice helps! But I've checked and no where offers part time jobs to anyone who is under 16 :/