Advice on how to DI???...Please

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sargent_duck, Oct 7, 2002.

1. sargent_duck

sargent_duck Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Hey all, hopefully you can give me a bit of help with this.
    My promblem is about DI'ing from my amp to the bands mixer, since we've started geting pretty big gig's we could finally can afford to get a bigger rig, so I wanted to DI, so I bought a behringer DI100 DI box and was planing on bypassing my amp with it, and going straght to the mixer but there is little or no volume comeing through, so I just brought a direct line from the DI output on my amp to it and thats ok, but a good few bass players have told me to avoid this at all cost. So if anyone has any advice on how to set it up propally I would really be thankfull, and sorry for the bad description of the problem, but if you need anymore info just ask, cheers.
  2. That DI has an internal battery that will run down after being pluged in for a number of hours, I would suggest starting with replacing that. Also set the attenuation level to a starting point of 0 or even -10 if your bass is passive. If those 2 don't work take it back to the store and have them check it out.

Depending on the amp you have the internal DI may even be better then the box you bought.

What type of amp are you using?
  3. sargent_duck

sargent_duck Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Im useing a Laney RBW300 its a fairly crap 15 watt, but I am hopeing to upgrade in a bit, Which is more than likely my next post 8), the battery was just bought and I didnt get to use it atall so Im doubting it went down that quick, and sorry but what is the attenuation actually do?? and its an active bass An Ibanez ATK.

4. the attenuator controls how much signal is sent through the DI. That Di can accept a speaker level signal (a speaker out connection from the amp) if you set the attenuator to +50. If your amp has that ability give it a try. Laney probably has an OK Di inside of it. I would say try it and see what you think.

BTW if your mixer has a Phamton Power Switch for the bass channel turn that on it will bypass the battery all together.
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    True dat. Whoever said that you should avoid going direct from your amp at all costs either has limited experience doing that and must have done it with an amp that has a very poor DI or they might have experience with your particular combo's line out and they didn't feel it was a good line out. Since you have that direct box though you might as well try changing the battery as Gallient recommended and try that again.

When I first started playing live gigs I was always insistent on micing my amps. After having lots of trouble with feedback, inconsistent mics and/or inconsistent soundmen I finally tried going direct out and whaddya know, SWR's have a darn good DI. I've gone DI from my SWR amps ever since and the sound ranges from good to fantastic depending on the venue, sound guy and PA. Of course if the PA stinks then it doesn't really matter HOW you get the signal to the board.

brad cook