Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on Ibanez GSR 200... Help really needed !!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Elliot Smith, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Elliot Smith

Elliot Smith

Apr 29, 2005
    Hi guys ! Last December, I made one of the worst deals of my life... I bought a Craftsmen Pbass (fender knockoff) and a 27 watts dean markley amp.

Firstly, the bass....Its really heavy, sounds so bad and the neck feels like a baseball bat. I feel that i'm not suited for the Pbass neck. Also, my bass buzzes when I fretted some certain frets... Its a horror! I completely lose my interest on playing..... (till date... i can't even do proper fingering... believe it or not..)

So I was thinking of getting a Ibanez GSR200. I read reviews and they are all seems to be singing praises about it. Is it a really good beginner bass? Is the neck slimmer than the Pbass neck? What i concern most now is the neck... i have small hands..... I want a really comfortable neck without having to spend so much...

Then the amp.... Dean markley propably is one of the worst amp makers in the world ! All the notes I played are overly bright... My E string sounds softer and no punch at all (how does this happens?? ).... What affordable practice amp would you recommend for a beginner? I am considering Ashdown Five-fifteen 115... they seems to be really cheap and have lots of power (65 watts !!). I am considering the peavey microbass also....

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The neck on the GSR200 is a lot slimmer than a P bass, but I have no idea how big the neck on your knockoff is.

I would recommend finding your local Ibanez dealer. Since the GSR is the entry level Ibanez line, they are bound to have one in stock.

3. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I have an Ibanez RD500F, which is a mid-range ibanez. The neck is VERY slim, slimmer than my friends GSR200, but not in a bad way though. It gets much wider towards the brigde, so you have plenty of room there for digging in. It has a nice "c" profile, not flat like some basses. Thin but comfortable ;)

The Peavey Microbass amp is a great amp if you dislike bass in your tone ;). I tried one, and everything i got from it was a huge "clank" and a farty low-mid tone. Sounded like you put a PC speaker in a tin can and everything was blown up.

For a good beginners bass amp: Could i reccomend the Hartke Kickback 15? It's moderately loud and has enough juice for practicing with a blues\jazz band.

Good luck!
    -Erlend

4. I just want to say first and foremnost I hate the GSR series, with that being said...

The necks are very slim, if you have "tiny" hands, you should feel right at home. The bass itself, fairly light, probably around 9-11 lbs. The factory setup, forget about it, if the one you have eyes for is setup like the one I played was, you'll need a full "once-over"

I feel that Ibanez gets its bad rep for producing stuff like this... But then again, who doesn't hate entry level stuff after they've moved on?

I reccomend this bass to you. However, I strongly urge you to try the Peavey Millenium BXP basses as well. There is NO rival here at all, the Peavey will BLOW AWAY the Ibanez, IMO.

Okay, amp-wise, you want cheap, reilable, efficient? Ibanez makes amps that are right up your alley! My brother has a 35 watt, that has a -10db switch on it, and it sounds great! I mean, way better sound than my Randall, and they're both the same wattage! (given that I have an 8" driver, and he a 10")

So, to sum it up, I reccomend the Peavey Millenium BXP series bass guitar to, long lasting, durable, and tremendous bang for the $220 buck! Ibanez 35W amp, or if you want, the 65W amp, both sound great, and should make you very happy!

Hope I helped you gain an insight,
    ~Ryan

http://www.peavey.com (Millenium 4 or BXP)

http://www.ibanez.com (Sound Wave 35w, or 65w)

5. oldtao

oldtao

Jun 5, 2005
    I HAVE A Ibanez GSR200。IT COST ME A BOUT 180$

i'am in china

6. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Yes, thats very informative to hear oldtao! I am in norway, and i do not have an Ibanez GSR200 ;)

:D

7. I have an Ibanez GSR200 and it's probably the best bass for hte money. I reccomend it to any beginner.

8. love mine to bits, great bass for beginner and good second bass for more serious players!

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The lower line of Ibeenhad is quite weak.
    I have a SR300...
    Well, construction is ok, thin neck is there. however, the finish is cheap and scratches very easily, and I even have marks of discolouration on it from a few drops of rain :spit:

But the worst part is tone and electronics.
    The tone is dead. Unlively, lacking in lows and highs. But it has mids - the type of mids that make it sound muddy and the notes indistinct.
    IMO, there are better basses out there, maybe for a bit more, but what you gain in tone is much more.

10. Elliot Smith

Elliot Smith

Apr 29, 2005
    Thanks everyone for your reply...

I don't mind going for the low end basses... i can modify the bass in the future... maybe change the pickups to basslines quarter pounder and hot stack jazz. Is the GSR200 good for playing metal? I am really interested to learn GNR, Metallica (during cliff burton times) and Poison...

Also, my friend recommend that i buy DVDs to learn how to play the bass.... is that a good way? Or learning from book is better? Please advice

11. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    My GSR200 came with a nearly perfect setup, right out-of-the-box.

12. Id be apt to go the other way, a peavy amp with an ibanez bass, altho i have never tried the ibanez amp i have alot of experience with peaveys and its been all good (bar one), I think you would notice the difference more if you got an SR series bass (the cheaper passive ones seem to be better than the actives)

13. I will agree with the basses ive had needing setup tho, the EDA i got had a horrible setup when i first got it, but it was sorted :cool:

14. spekman

spekman

Aug 5, 2004
    i have one
    it'snot a very bad bass at all
    it's probably one of the best you'll find in this price range (maybe second hand??) but don't expect it to be a really good bass, it might be better then the one you have now, but it won't make an enormous difference....
    try it before you buy it
    but i have to warn you, after playing about a year on a gsr200 you will want another more high-end bass, so i should save up my monet for something a little better....

15. Get one of the Jumpstart Packs i bought 1 for my sister and its really good.

GSR190(i think)
    practice amp
    strap
    tuner
    picks
    leads

i never played bass till i got my sisters one. and imo its a very good starter bass

16. spekman

spekman

Aug 5, 2004
    the starter packs are nice
    but the amp just sucks and the strap is unconfortable and not very strong..

but you cerntainly get where you pay for!

17. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    If you are looking for a GSR200 as a starter bass you really can't go wrong. My daughter started with one 3 years ago and it's going strong.

It's light and the neck is slim although it's not as slim as the SR or SRX 4 string necks.

18. i agree but if its just for a beigina then its ok.

i just got myself a beautiful six string but i need a better amp. any recomondations, needs to be cheap but punchy.