Advice on J Bass Highway <> American Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jpbergmans, Aug 23, 2005.

1. jpbergmans

Aug 23, 2005

I picked up playing bass after almost 15 years. I currently live abroad (Russia) and I do not have my gear with me.

Therefore I bought here a Hartke 70A and a Fender J Bass Highway.

Perfectly hapy with the amp but got very disapointed with the J Bass Highway.

Overall I like it but it has a VERY bad deadspot around the C on the G string.

I did not notice when I bought it but now that I have spotted it, it really bothers me.

I might have an opportunity to trade it back in the shop when they get a new shipment from Fender.

I would consider to trade it against a J Bass American Deluxe (obviously I would have to pay the difference).

I undertand that the American Deluxe has a different neck with carbon reinforcment.

My question is; are the J Bass American Deluxe, less affected by this deadspot ? (which I understand now happens on quite a few J Basses)

Thanks in adavnce for your feedback.

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    First of all, Welcome to TB!
    Anyway, before you do anything like that, take it to someone and get it set up properly. I've played a Fender HW1 Jazz bass and loved it. One of the best basses i've played to date.
    I'd definately have it set up properly. The deadspots are usually signs of a truss-rod adjustment, or a bridge adjustment.

Mark Wilson