1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice on J Bass Highway <> American Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jpbergmans, Aug 23, 2005.

1. jpbergmans

jpbergmans

Aug 23, 2005
    Hi,

I picked up playing bass after almost 15 years. I currently live abroad (Russia) and I do not have my gear with me.

Therefore I bought here a Hartke 70A and a Fender J Bass Highway.

Perfectly hapy with the amp but got very disapointed with the J Bass Highway.

Overall I like it but it has a VERY bad deadspot around the C on the G string.

I did not notice when I bought it but now that I have spotted it, it really bothers me.

I might have an opportunity to trade it back in the shop when they get a new shipment from Fender.

I would consider to trade it against a J Bass American Deluxe (obviously I would have to pay the difference).

I undertand that the American Deluxe has a different neck with carbon reinforcment.

My question is; are the J Bass American Deluxe, less affected by this deadspot ? (which I understand now happens on quite a few J Basses)

Thanks in adavnce for your feedback.

Jean-Paul

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    First of all, Welcome to TB!
    Anyway, before you do anything like that, take it to someone and get it set up properly. I've played a Fender HW1 Jazz bass and loved it. One of the best basses i've played to date.
    I'd definately have it set up properly. The deadspots are usually signs of a truss-rod adjustment, or a bridge adjustment.

Mark Wilson