Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advice on la bella flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dunamis, Apr 20, 2005.

1. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I recently ordered a set of 760FL's in medium scale length for a bass with a 32" scale. They turned out to be too short (the silk on the E string extends past the nut).

So, I ordered a set of long scale 760FL's which, it turns out, are so long that a turn or two of the steel flat wound portion of the string will be wrapped around the tuning peg.

Doesn't bother me except that it says on the package not to do this. In fact it says that the strings "will almost certainly break".

I'm tempted to try it anyway, especially since the vendor dosen't accept returns if the package has been opened.

Will the strings really break? Other than the possibility of a broken string, is there any downside to installing them that way? I'd appreciate any advice.

2. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I've used these strings on a reverse-headstock bass. Some of "unsilked" part of the G and D strings was wrapped around the tuner. I read the "will almost certainly break" thing, too, so I wrapped that portion of the string with electrical tape. I don't know if it was necessary but the strings never broke.

3. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I ignored the warning... That was a year ago and they're still good.

4. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I appreciate the advice!

5. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    In spite of the experience of others that said not to heed La Bellas' warning, the E string popped immmediately when I put tension on it!

Damn La Bellas! That's $75 down the drain! :scowl:

6. Does anyone here know what their customer service is like? I just got a set of their strings last week. I love them but the B string has this awful bend in it that makes the 8th fret buzz like a mofo. I used their contact feature on their site and we'll see what happens. You guys think they'll hook me up?

7. Mark Moss

Mark Moss

Feb 28, 2005
    Redmond, WA

I simply emailed them to say I had a problem with an E string from a brand new set; it sounded like it was wrapped in a sock. About a week later I received a new one in the mail at no cost.

Regarding breaking a string wrapping around the peg - don't do it- will more than likely break at the worst time.

I have the same issue with string length. I got the longer scale set and did this: I took one, or two if needed, ball ends off an old set of strings, drilled out the hole so the E string would slide through and then put the string on my bass. This way the string sits further back toward the bridge. Have been doing this for years and no side effects. However, you would have to test this before committing.

8. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Sounds like that would work, but it leaves me wondering why one would have to do all that to make a set of strings fit that are as expensive as La Bellas. A medium scale set of strings ought to fit a 32" scale bass right out of box.

9. Mark Moss

Mark Moss

Feb 28, 2005
    Redmond, WA
    I hear ya. But I like the Labella flats and if I have to do this for them to work so be it.

Now that I think about it, the new set I just put on my bass (the same bass) a few weeks ago did not need the ball end.

Perhaps Labella adjusted?

10. Mark Moss

Mark Moss

Feb 28, 2005
    Redmond, WA
    One other thing. I get my strings online for at least $10 cheaper than I do at any store in town - and no sales tax.