Advice on Laklands please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass117, Apr 7, 2005.

1. bass117

Apr 7, 2005
    Levittown, NY
    I have been looking at some Laklands on Ebay. I tried one several years ago and really liked the sounds it put out. Looking at a 55-01 going for about $400 with a $500 buy it now option. Wanted to ask if the Skyline 55-01 / 55-02 series is that much down from the 55-94 series? I have a 1982 G&L L-1000, would the Lakland have that much of a different tone or am I just experiencing GAS?

Thanks all
  2. newchibass

May 21, 2004
    I had a G&L L1000 for a long time before springing for a 55-94 Standard. I can't say enough about the Lakland; it will do what the G&L can only better, in addition to having a great array of other sounds.
  3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    To minimize (or eliminate) the tonal difference between the Skyline and the USA Laklands, get the 55-02, which has the same Bartolini MM/J pickups and electronics as the USA version. I'm sure others are more knowledgeable about differences in woods, hardware, etc.
  4. Definately get the 55-02 over the 01 as Nedmundo pointed out. Its worth the difference. For the most part, people rave over the Skylines. I was in the market for one before I got a great deal on a Stingray 4. Could not pass up the price. I'm good for the time being but I know there's a 55-02 in my future. I would go for the 55-94, but I could not justify the extra money for what I do musically right now. My brother-in-law has a 55-94 and he just bought a Daryl Jones. Lakland's are great basses.

Do a search here and you will find alot of information that will help with this decision.
  5. I just recieved my 55-02 from Bass Central a couple of weeks ago. Never owned a fiver before and I can't put it down! The Bart's sound awesome and the customer service is all everyone says that it is. I couldn't be happier with the purchase. Go for it but I also agree to get the the Bart's if you can. They're well worth the extra $$.
  6. bass117

Apr 7, 2005
    Levittown, NY
    Thanks for all the responses, just got back from a quick run to my local Guitar Center to try one out but they didn't have any and there were none in any region GC stores either so I really appreciate all this advice. Will check other posts for more info, but certainly won't blow $500 on a bass that I am unsure about. I have taken chances on basses before and sometimes it works out ($350 Epiphone El Capitan Acoustic / Electric from ebay) and sometimes it doesn't ($250 Hagstrom H II B N also off ebay), but I have heard so many raves about Laklands and also remember being impressed when I tried it out a long time ago so much that I would take a chance on it.
  7. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    You wont be dissapointed in either the 01 or 02 ... I personally own the 5502 CSBD. ..pic in profile... I would get the 02 but thats depending on how much you are willing to spend... Either way there both great basses.
  8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    There is a difference, but the 55-01 is a great bass at a great price.
  9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    To start off, the 55-94s to me are much nicer than the 55-02s, and I love the Skylines, but that will tell you how nice the Americans are, and if at all possible, I'd recommend going the used 55-94 route.
    As far as Skylines go, the 55-01 may be one of the best value basses you can ever purchase, especially used. I was blown away by how good it was.
  10. mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Lakland with Barts is rather mellow and smooth, even shy if you ask me. If You like the SR/G&L grunt, I believe Duncans would be closer to the same ballpark.

11. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    The biggest difference between the Skline and Chicago models would be a quartersawn neck and one-piece body on the 55-94. Carey Nordstrand should have some of his pickups for these available by now.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This is very true of the 55-02.

But the MK1 setup in the 55-01 is very aggressive, not mellow and smooth like the 55-02 Bart setup.

I don't care for the sound of the 55-02 Barts at all. But I love the 55-01.

13. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    What about taking a Cort GB74(or GB75) and placing some Duncans (or barts) in there? Would it get the same kind of sound?

How nicely built are the cort GB's?

What pre-amp do they use on the laklands with the Duncan pups in them?
  14. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I think they still use the Bart pre amp.
  15. mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    I definitely liked GB74. Looks marvellous, and the body shape is cool! :cool: Haven't tried the GB75, but GB35. I think the GB35 was lacking something the GB74 had. Usually 5-stringers don't sound as good as 4 stringers, but I think GB75 would be better than the GB35.

I wish they did them with maple fretboard. Anyway, I liked the passive mode better, and the bass did get very good sounds. The pickups were not bad at all, and playing was definitely a joy! I'm gonna go give her a ride again some day... ;)