Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on laminate wood repair please

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Keef, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Hi folks,

I recently acquired a 1967 Fender Coronado Wildwood 12-string that is in nearly mint condition. The only thing wrong with it is this blemished area on the headstock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The headstock is laminated with a very thin wood veneer, a part of which has been chipped away. Any ideas on how to repair this? I'd imagine I could do it myself if I knew where to find an appropriate veneer – or can anyone recommend some place where I could get it fixed that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg? I admit, I have no idea what a repair like this should cost...

P.S.: here's a link to a full shot of the whole guitar, if anyone is interested:

http://www.appleswitcher.com/music/icons/Temp_Folder/coronado_XII.jpg

P.P.S.: sorry about the "guitar" post – would it help if I referred to her as a double-course, six-string piccolo bass? ;)

TIA,

~ k

•

2. Wow, that's a beauty - fer a gitfiddle anyway!:D

You could certainly do the repair if you took your time and did some testing for color matching. The hardest part will be finishing it closely enough to the original to make it disappear. You'll probably have to clean up that edge and the gluing surface underneath before fitting the new piece in.

3. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Thanks, Hambone! I'll guess I'll start looking into veneers. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to look for such an item? Or perhaps some appropriate words to enter into a Google search? I'm calling it a "veneer", but I have no idea if that's what it's really called.

Unless of course, someone could recommend a repair person who is acquainted with this kind of work..?

~

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    http://www.rockler.com/

5. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Thanks bill! That's a great link!

:hyper: